Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,016 Posts
Excellent advice from you both, thank you! I've read and bookmarked the Grambo trick page for easy reference later.

So, let me add some details that might be relevant or might not:

• Once I reinstalled the cleaned and rebuilt carbs, I performed an oil change. However, I was unaware of the internal filter and only changed the external filter. Now aware of that internal filter, I will be performing another oil change once the weather cooperates. (No garage yet, but she's covered with a large heavy blanket, then two new tarps, and finally a bike cover.)
  • I've been cranking the bike up at least once per week. The sound is recent. Probably only began within the last three or four idling sessions.
  • At the end of each ride/idling session, I've been making it a habit to close the petcock and allowing the bike to idle until it burns through the fuel in the carbs. That sound definitely weakens and usually disappears after she's plenty warm.
  • If this sound is indeed the ACCT, then I'm actually relieved. At just under 10k miles, I'd rather not have major engine problems.

Once again, thanks for the info and advice, fellas!
I wouldn't worry about the oil change until it's due, there's some extra oil in the screen area but not enough to ruin the oil. It's good to monitor anything that shows up in the screen, like metal shavings, clutch material, and rubber from the damper bushings. A few bits of clutch material is normal.

If you decide to go ahead and change oil early, I would give it a 200 mile Seafoam treatment in the oil. Or just do it 200 miles before your next oil change.

How is your fuel storage plan? Anything added to the fuel?

Old gas can create sticky intake valve stems. Seafoam in the gas can help that, along with stabilizing the gas and keeping the jets clean.

· Super Moderator
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I wouldn't worry about the oil change until it's due, there's some extra oil in the screen area but not enough to ruin the oil. It's good to monitor anything that shows up in the screen, like metal shavings, clutch material, and rubber from the damper bushings. A few bits of clutch material is normal.

If you decide to go ahead and change oil early, I would give it a 200 mile Seafoam treatment in the oil. Or just do it 200 miles before your next oil change.

How is your fuel storage plan? Anything added to the fuel?

Old gas can create sticky intake valve stems. Seafoam in the gas can help that, along with stabilizing the gas and keeping the jets clean.
I've been cranking it at least once weekly and have added nothing to the gas. On average, I've been cranking and idling it between 2 and 3 times per week, if it's not raining. I think there were only two weeks in the past two months where I only cranked her once.

I thought seafoam was only added if it was just going to sit? So far, she cranks immediately, with no hesitation. (Thank God for that new AGM battery that was installed right before I bought her.)

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,016 Posts
I've been cranking it at least once weekly and have added nothing to the gas. On average, I've been cranking and idling it between 2 and 3 times per week, if it's not raining. I think there were only two weeks in the past two months where I only cranked her once.

I thought seafoam was only added if it was just going to sit? So far, she cranks immediately, with no hesitation. (Thank God for that new AGM battery that was installed right before I bought her.)
Oh no, seafoam is good for storage, cleaning, crud prevention, and oil treatment if it's needed. It's all on the teeny tiny fine print on the back of the can, including the correct dosage for oil or gas (two different amounts)..

· Premium Member
1,811 Posts
I add “3-ish” ounces every third tank, and have used it for the oil once and I when I changed it it looked like dark grey milk from all the carbon it cleaned out. I also used full cans of it in the cars’ gas during the pandemic because there was no where to go for a while and they were just sitting.

· Super Moderator
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I add “3-ish” ounces every third tank, and have used it for the oil once and I when I changed it it looked like dark grey milk from all the carbon it cleaned out. I also used full cans of it in the cars’ gas during the pandemic because there was no where to go for a while and they were just sitting.
Sounds like good advice. I'll have to pick some up when I'm in town again.

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,016 Posts
Sounds like good advice. I'll have to pick some up when I'm in town again.
Walmart is the best price. $15 at O'Reilly for the high mileage stuff. The regular stuff is cheaper and all I used until this last bottle.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts