Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I switch back to first there is a clunking and sometimes a grind, I first thought it may be a misadjusted clutch, but with the clutch all the way in there isn't even a hint of friction, in fact going up all the way to 5 is fine, and going down until you get to 1 is fine too, sometimes it shifts to 1 easily, but there is usually at least a clunk. Any suggestions? I was going to take it in tomorrow for an oil change and spline lube, maybe I should ask them to look at it? It's a local cycle mechanic that has been in town for many years and comes highly reccomended, so I'm not too worried about being ****ed around.

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
Mine does the clunking too. Figured it was normal.

Make sure the mechanic has high moly grease to lube the splines. I'd ask to see it before he starts working on it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I get the clunk, but no grinding. Figured it was normal too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine does the clunking too. Figured it was normal.

Make sure the mechanic has high moly grease to lube the splines. I'd ask to see it before he starts working on it.
I just called the mechanic, he said he has to order the grease, and he told me to look in the owners manual to give him the exact grease type so he can order it.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Most here use Honda Moly Paste. It is 60% Moly. You want something that has a high Moly content.

Search the forums for Moly Lube, or Spline Lube Grease, or Honda Moly. I know there is a posting somewhere with a couple of good choices.

But if you are lazy like me, just tell him Honda Moly Grease 60%. He should be able to get it based on that description.

·
Registered
120 Posts
clunk

clunk going into 1st too. No grinding.

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
The manual isn't specific. Honda Moly (60?) is the stuff to use.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I brought my bike in nd the guy said he would have just used bearing grease for a driveshaft, so I decided to just go with the oil change for now. My bike is an 05 with only 3800 miles on it, but I wanted to do the shaft as a precaution because I read in the Verses that a lot of these bikes weren't lubed properly at the assembly plant. I will just get the grease myself, and I'm sure there are some forum members who live on long island and would like to make a couple extra bucks.

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
Have them show you how to change the oil too while they're there! It's expensive to pay someone for such a simple procedure. If you can't locate a member near you, see if a mechanic will let you watch/learn when he does it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have them show you how to change the oil too while they're there! It's expensive to pay someone for such a simple procedure. If you can't locate a member near you, see if a mechanic will let you watch/learn when he does it.
I've changed the oil on my car before, I'm sure I could handle this too, I just don't have the time this week, I wanted to go on a ride to montauk point on Saturday, and I wasn't going to have a chance to get at the bike before then. As for the spline lube, that's something I don't think I would attempt.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
96 bucks for an oil change. I will be doing it myself next time. On the plus side he adjusted my clutch cable and that grinding didn't happen the whole ride home. We'll see what happens going forward, thanks for all the advice guys.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I think Vulcan2000 is in Long Island and seems to have gotten his hands pretty dirty on his bike, but haven't seen him around lately, and I know he was thinking about selling.
(correction) Not Vulcan2000, but someone else with a similar name, maybe VulcanPower

I live in northwest NJ if you wanna take a ride out to me on Saturday, I will Lube your Splines for you.

I also plan on doing my own oil change, ear-shave, and 4 Turn Signal Relocation and replace with LED lights. You can hang all day or as long as you want if you wanna get some hands on the bike.

PM me if you are interested

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think Vulcan2000 is in Long Island and seems to have gotten his hands pretty dirty on his bike, but haven't seen him around lately, and I know he was thinking about selling.
(correction) Not Vulcan2000, but someone else with a similar name, maybe VulcanPower

I live in northwest NJ if you wanna take a ride out to me on Saturday, I will Lube your Splines for you.

I also plan on doing my own oil change, ear-shave, and 4 Turn Signal Relocation and replace with LED lights. You can hang all day or as long as you want if you wanna get some hands on the bike.

PM me if you are interested
I appreciate the offer, I'm sure we will meet up at some point, but I'm planning on montauk or the north fork on Saturday. Are there any real nice roads you can reccomend here in the tri state?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts