Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting....my neighbor has an older Kawi 1000 Concourse...apparently, some guy on his website rebuilds their 6 speed trannys to make the 6th a higher ratio...about $300...wonder if same guy could do it to our trannys, because Id love to be able to ride at 65-70 and 3500 rpm...think of the advantages in distance riding on the freeways...will look into it and post more as I find out...

·
Registered
856 Posts
Id love to be able to ride at 65-70 and 3500 rpm..
Keep in mind that you don't want the rpm to drop too much as our charging system only kicks in at about 3000-4000rpm. Plus, these bikes were built to for running at a high rpm. The Primary advantage I can see in doing this would be fuel economy, and I doubt that there would be enough of an increase to be cost effective for the parts an labor involved. (even if your up to the challenge of doing this yourself)

No I would LOVE to swap the 5th gear out on my car. Might have to look into that next time I drop the Trans for a clutch job.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuel economy plus less engine noise. I almost always cruise between 3-4k...rarely ever over....ridden on long rides and battery charged fine...remember, ya gotta bring up the RPMs from 1st to 4th to get to fifth...the engine will also run cooler, and adding a manual fan shutoff for the mod would help. But I prefer to get into high gears soon, and run lower rpm w/o allowing the engine to strain or lug. Been doing that since the 70s....besides with 2 cycle engines.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
love the ringy dingy sound.saw an rz350 recently that went for 1800 at a swap meet.also would love to piss off the cages behind me with the smoke.would also be great at parties to kill mosquitoes.lol

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They make tires now, that when you spin em (burn out), they make colored smoke....:D...saw that on the original Top Gear.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was looking at the online manual, and the bikes from Canada are geared a bit different.
I wonder how a person would find a final drive off of one.
The manual shows the U.S. models as having the final drive ratio of 2.454 15/22 x 37-10
Canadian models 2.522 15/22 x 36/10
Overall drive ratio U.S. 5.109 Canadian 5.251 in 5th gear.
Not much of a difference though, not sure the RPM difference.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, lower is higher, so the Canadian is actually a slower top speed. Example : 5:12 gears in a car are quicker, but 4:10s give you a higher speed...but I gotta remember not to drag race Old Hoss now, lol....

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I was looking at the online manual, and the bikes from Canada are geared a bit different. I wonder how a person would find a final drive off of one.
The manual shows the U.S. models as having the final drive ratio of 2.454 15/22 x 37-10
Canadian models 2.522 15/22 x 36/10
Overall drive ratio U.S. 5.109 Canadian 5.251 in 5th gear.
Not much of a difference though, not sure the RPM difference
Hmmm...Clymer manual in table 1 of chapter 5 shows US and Canadian vn750s with the same final reduction ratio of 2.522

All other models (Europe and Oceania?) are 2.454

I`m assuming if the Kaw online manual is correct, then the Clymer must be a typo. I think I did the math on this once and it only amounted to 1 or 2 mph at redline. Not 100% sure though, and I`m falling asleep half typing here and half watching Highlander on TV. Maybe work it out again tomorrow when I am wide awake. :)

Well, lower is higher, so the Canadian is actually a slower top speed. Example : 5:12 gears in a car are quicker, but 4:10s give you a higher speed...but I gotta remember not to drag race Old Hoss now, lol....
I think you would still win Wolfie. IIRC you mentioned somewhere that you are 6' 1" and weigh 210. If so, you have a 90 lb advantage. Not to mention the extra 40 years experience on two wheels. :wow:

·
Registered
384 Posts
I could have misread that. I will research it some more and see what the specs show.
In a car the higher numerically the numbers are, the slower you will go.
Higher numbers equal better off line acceleration, but slower top speeds.
Lower numbers equal higher top speed, but slower acceleration.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you mentioned somewhere that you are 6' 1" and weigh 210
...6'1" yes, but sadly due to my illness only low 140's...:( Still aint gonna race ya Hoss...I may "play" a lil with my friends on the road, but I dont serious race em...my racing days are over, lol...

In a car the higher numerically the numbers are, the slower you will go.
Higher numbers equal better off line acceleration, but slower top speeds.
Isnt that what I wrote ?

5:12 gears in a car are quicker, but 4:10s give you a higher speed...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts