Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a decent amount of interest in swing arm caps at an affordable price? I'm looking into producing some custom caps and was just wondering what kinda interest there is.
I don't have pricing or anything set up yet.

These caps would be 3d printed by me and possibly with custom designs.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Is there a decent amount of interest in swing arm caps at an affordable price? I'm looking into producing some custom caps and was just wondering what kinda interest there is.
I don't have pricing or anything set up yet.

These caps would be 3d printed by me and possibly with custom designs.
I am sure there is interest but as you mentioned yourself at this time there is no pricing except "affordable" which can be a very wide margin for many here. As far as custom, please explain. Do you mean that we could give you a design and you could make that into a 3D image on the actual cap? I am interested in in the overall concept so far and look forward to more information. I do understand that it is difficult to set any real prices at this point of investigation but I like the concept. Good luck and let us know more information as you work it all out.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sure there is interest but as you mentioned yourself at this time there is no pricing except "affordable" which can be a very wide margin for many here. As far as custom, please explain. Do you mean that we could give you a design and you could make that into a 3D image on the actual cap? I am interested in in the overall concept so far and look forward to more information. I do understand that it is difficult to set any real prices at this point of investigation but I like the concept. Good luck and let us know more information as you work it all out.
That's exactly what I meant. I mean depending on the quality of the 3d prints. I was also thinking of a variety of finishes too. From vinyl wrapped (chrome film or carbon fiber) to painted.

I haven't made any so I can't calculate the cost of material yet...but it's definitely doable. Obviously you'd have to glue these on too like the oem ones but they would be a heck of a lot easier to replace.

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
Haven't seen any new OEM caps on ebay since I bought mine, more than a year ago. If you can beat the price at the parts websites or dealers, if they still sell them, you may have something.

The used ones I see on ebay are usually pretty ratty and often overpriced.

Those caps also fit other Kawi bikes.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I could get them around $10/ea. Maybe even less. Like I said though the major advantage would be availability.

·
Registered
8,331 Posts

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
Looked up my record when I ordered this. They charged $5.95 shipping for a small part. I also believe they would charge a restocking fee if not in stock. When they had to do this for a part I ordered back in 2011 it was an additional $4.07.

Everyone else's mileage may very of course depending on size, weight and availability.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep I would definitely be cheaper than most places online. Bit like I said, until I get one printed (need to know amount of material used to calculate cost) I can really only guess at how much they would cost.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Looked up my record when I ordered this. They charged $5.95 shipping for a small part. I also believe they would charge a restocking fee if not in stock. When they had to do this for a part I ordered back in 2011 it was an additional $4.07.

Everyone else's mileage may very of course depending on size, weight and availability.
If you were charged a "restocking" fee for an item that was not in stock you got ripped off big time. Having been in the logistics end of business for over thirty some years, restocking fees are for just that, putting a returned item back on the shelf for future orders that was not wanted or accepted by the customer. You can not "restock" something that wasn't there ("in stock") to begin with.

I am not sure exactly what you are meaning by your last sentence and paragraph. Maybe: Everyone else's shipping fee may vary of course depending on size of the item, weight and (certainly not availability)?

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
What type of material? I assume plastic of some variety? Not really up to speed on 3D printing, saw a couple of videos.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can make them in pla or in abs once I get it all set up. But PLA should be good for this application.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I am be interested in this....when you can figure out a price and what can be done, hit me up.
I would like to make a swing arm cap that has a 3d image on the face of it. I can paint it myself.
I think 10 bucks (plus shipping) each for a custom made cap is very reasonable.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm workin on drawing this part up in cad.

·
Registered
54 Posts
swing arm cap? Is that one of those annoying silver discs that fell off my bike, and after it did, everyone told me I should have RTV goop'd it on?

If that's it, I'm interested as well. Just waiting for the weather in NY to stop being psychotic and kick this monster cold I've had, so I can get my bike back on the road

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Probably not worth the effort to reproduce this part to save $5 shipping, unless you want it customized mind you.

I got a pair off eBay for $6 shipped.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts