Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to do a search to see if anyone has ever done a thread comparing insurance companies. I'm looking for a new company, because I don't care for my current agent, or rates. But, I will state right up front - don't try turning me onto Progressive, Geico, or Markel. I won't touch them with a 20 foot cattle prod. If you want to know specifically why, you can send me a PM, and I'll discuss.

Anyway, I used to have American Family, which was always very reasonable. When I moved to Michigan I had to shop again, because AmFam doesn't do business in Michigan. They say the state isn't insurance friendly. There is mandatory no-fault for sure.

Anyway, I'm looking for a respectable company, but one that won't break the bank, either.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Price is a big factor with me as well, but I also want a company that will respond when you need to contact them. I'm checking local agents, but live in a very small town, and there are only a couple.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Price is a big factor with me as well, but I also want a company that will respond when you need to contact them. I'm checking local agents, but live in a very small town, and there are only a couple.
are you prior millitary?... if so you could try USAA.. I had them for the longest time.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are you prior millitary?... if so you could try USAA.. I had them for the longest time.
I am not prior military, but have USAA for auto insurance (my wife's father was retired Navy, and he got us into USAA. We're also members of NFCU.) But, when you talk to them about bike insurance they transfer you over to Progressive, so no go there. No other company has been able to touch them for price or service on auto insurance.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I would see if there's a local motorcycle forum for your area. If so, ask what they use. Local MC Ins. companies are usually better than the big guys. I have "Riders Insurance" and they only service PA, NJ, and NY. Its an ins. company run by other bikers - coverage is great and they're cheap.

I would even ask anyone you see on a bike in your area. They could probably help a brother out.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Have you ever noticed that when all these companies on TV compare themselves to other companies they never do to AAA.
I use AAA and it costs me like $30-$35 a month. Cheaper then a Cell phone & more Fun.
I been getting some ads from AARP about insurance but I haven't looked into it yet.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Have you ever noticed that when all these companies on TV compare themselves to other companies they never do to AAA.
I use AAA and it costs me like $30-$35 a month. Cheaper then a Cell phone & more Fun.
I been getting some ads from AARP about insurance but I haven't looked into it yet.
AARP=Ahs Against Retired People...??? JMO...
BTW-I'm like KM, I'm with GEICO, they did fine by me when I wrecked "Clyde", no complaints here...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Like Old Dog and KM, I too have Geico - for both my truck and my bike - and have been very happy with them. The service has been good, and the price for my bike can't be beat.

And, if you can believe it, the rates for my truck actually went DOWN this year! Can't beat that with a stick, IMHO.

In any case, I wish you luck in finding a company that you like and that will suit your needs : )

AZ Kev

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
ksmnet, I've been an insurance broker for 35 years. I would suggest looking up the Local Traveler's agent. If you want to P.M. me feel free. I will gladly go over any topic you want with -0- obligation. There are so many carriers that you can never really do an empirical comp.
Just remember, most (all ..IMHO) insurance companies are loaded with C- students.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
I have Progressive with Full Coverage for $300 a year on the bike. I have Mercury for my house and cars and trucks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
ksmnet, I've been an insurance broker for 35 years. I would suggest looking up the Local Traveler's agent. If you want to P.M. me feel free. I will gladly go over any topic you want with -0- obligation. There are so many carriers that you can never really do an empirical comp.
Just remember, most (all ..IMHO) insurance companies are loaded with C- students.
I am a licensed producer also, and this statement couldn't be more true. Also remember to check that standard and poors report http://www.standardandpoors.com/ratings/property-casualty/ratings-list/en/us/?subSectorCode=37&sectorId=1221186658105&subSectorId=1221187347856, if the price is great but they have a crap record you will want to go with somebody else... Just my opinion.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I won't touch AARP, either.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're talking about Traveler's Insurance? I don't know if my local agents represent that company or not. The agent I went with last year got me insurance with Victoria Insurance, which is a division of Nationwide. I'm not dissatisfied with Victoria, but I'm not happy with the agent. He doesn't service us. When we switched out my wife's bike, we called and told the agent, and he never got back to us. We ended up having to call the company direct.

I've checked with the local State Farm agent, and they're a bit high. There's another independent agent in town, but they haven't gotten back to me, either (like they said they would). I don't know, maybe these agents have more business than they can handle, and they don't need my business.

·
2 Vulcans
64 Posts
I've checked with several companies and will be staying with Progressive again this year. A couple of places were quoting nearly double the rate we get from Progressive.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm with AAA, just because that's who I have my house and cars insured with. I've always heard that they were more expensive, but they also get stuff done. The one time I switched to another company for a bit, the lower price they gave me was simply because I was misquoted and it was actually about the same as AAA.

As for the bike, it's my cheap starter bike, so I only have liability on it, no actual coverage for damages to the bike.

However, last fall AAA sent me a letter stating that they couldn't legally insure the Vulcan anymore as of August '11. But later I got something trying to sell me on AAA's motorcycle insurance. I'm not sure what's up with that, but I've got a few months to figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
I don't know what your problem is with those companies, but as this thread progresses it seems enough people are likely curious , so just go ahead tell us what your problem is with them and save us all the trouble of PM'ing you. ;)

I'll tell you right off I will never do any bisniz with Progressive. And I ask other to avoid it if they can. The reason. to make it short, they dropped my daughters insurance because I was 2 days late trying to pay it. And when I say "trying" it is because I had been paying every month , on time, making payments over the phone. But if you do not make it ON TIME , they would not accept payment from me, nor would discuss anything with me, only my daugher. Problem was she was in the middle of the desert doing a project for NASA and could simply not be reached.

They refuesd to take the payment from me (who had been making them all along) and dropped her insurance.

Fate as is is, she got slammed into by a semi on the ride back. The car was totaled, and when the trucker that hit her found out she did not have insurance, he tried to sue her. 4 years later they gave up on the case, and of course Progressive would not intervene in any way because they dropped her policy. So FK them.

So, unless you have a simular story, or know they deal with terrorists, not sure what the deal is.

I have been real happy with Gieco, I pay about $340 a year ...now keep in mind this is full coverage, replacement cost, covers up to 3 grand in accessories, on a 14 grand motorcycle.........from a guy that collects speeding tickets like they are required.

When my Miata was rear ended...they were fast, helpfull and I had to pay nothing.

KM

·
Registered
137 Posts
why not progressive I pay 14$ a month for both bikes:smiley_th I used to have USAA but now they contract it out to progressive, Im almost to the Gold Level........

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I didn't want to get another political discussion going, but since people are asking. George Soros owns Progressive, and he is out spending millions of $$ trying to destroy the economy of this country. He has already been shown on video bragging about how he destroyed the economies of other countries, "just because he could." It's somewhat similar with Geico. Warren Buffet gave big $$ to Obama's campaign, as well as numerous liberal causes. I don't care to line their pockets any more than they are already lined. That's a big part of the reason our country is on a downhill slide, and going faster every day.

In 2008, when gas prices were topping around $4.00/gallon, the liberal media was slamming Bush, and the republicans in congress. Now that gas prices are even beyond that, the press is silent, and there's no outrage like there was back then. I'm not defending Bush, but it's a different agenda now, and it's bent on destroying our economy. They want gas prices high. Read up on Cloward and Piven, and you'll get a good idea as to what is going on.

Anyway, that's my reasoning for Progressive and Geico. I won't deal with Markel, because they haven't a clue about customer service. I had insurance through them back in 2008, and it was a horrible experience.

Currently, I'm with Victoria Insurance, which is a division of Nationwide. I'm not necessarily dissatisfied with that company, but more dissatisfied with my agent, who does not do what he is supposed to do - which is to make changes when you ask to him make them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts