Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm looking for some pointers. This is really a two part question/request.

1. My bike sat outdoors last winter/spring, during which time the tach/speedo instrument cluster began to show signs of rust. I'd like to remove both bezels and wire brush/sand/repaint them to look good as new (something I've seen some of you recommend to others). The question is how do I remove instrument cluster so I can modify them?

2. My tach vibrates considerably more than the speedo. I assume something in the mount is damaged or broke. Have any of you run into this issue and been able to find a quick fix?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
for 2, the mounting bracket sometimes just has a loose screw. Remove the housing and tighten the screw. I think I remember someone having to put a washer back there to tighten things up, but I don't recall why.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
My tach shook, I found the mount bracket was cracked beside one of the screws. A couple of tack welds fixed it. Tach welds!

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
You can remove the entire intstrument cluster from the bike. Wires plug into connections in the headlight shell. Once you do this you can examine the mounting arms for the gauges to see what needs to be fixed.
The upper bezel around the gauges is not exactly removable, but you can tape off the glass and repaint them. Regular silver/aluminum spray paint is a good match if you want the stock color.

·
Registered
738 Posts
#2 can be fixed with a piece of fuel line about 3/4 inch long. Slide it between the housing and the bracket from the dash. It is short enough that it will be hidden and act as a dampener.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts