Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be putting on my shorter bars today. I know a few of you have the exact same, or similar, bars. Any tips on cable routing? I know the clutch cable may be a tad long, and I'll have to route it differently (I'll order a -2 cable from Motion Pro if all is well).

Also, isn't there a hole I need to drill out on the new bars?

Here is the style I'm installing.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I'm going to be putting on my shorter bars today. I know a few of you have the exact same, or similar, bars. Any tips on cable routing? I know the clutch cable may be a tad long, and I'll have to route it differently (I'll order a -2 cable from Motion Pro if all is well).

Also, isn't there a hole I need to drill out on the new bars?
Might that be the hole in stock bars for the throttle grip ?

:smiley_th

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Bill got it... There is a hole on both sides to lock the controls where you want them... I like to put the controls on to see where they fit me the best then drill the holes. I don't knoow what other tips you could want other than either getting new grips or using Goo B Gone to help remove your old grips. Ohh yea and the handle bar clamp screws might be a little stubborn to get loose.. just use a 9/16" boxed end wrench on the allen wrench to make a cheater bar to help brake em loose.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
If your brake hose is too long and mine was, I took the lines off the manifold and rerouted the one from the master cylinder to the other end of the splitter/manifold and just put them back on the opposite of the way they came from the factory. You may want to get a clutch cable that is straight where it comes out of the lever assy instead of curved. I think I scrounged a set off of a 78 KZ1000.

Also if you don't want to drill holes in the bars, just file the little tabs off the switch housings that went in the holes on the factory bars.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the day off to fart around in the garage, and went ahead and installed the bars. Aside from needing a -2 or -3 clutch cable, I think it's great otherwise. The clutch cabling at the moment is ridable, so that's nice.

Nothing really to note as far as installation aside from grinding off the nibs of the plastic switch housings.

Comparing the two bars

Shots of the bike post-installation

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good.:rockon:

There was a post here recently of someone that bent up their front end that might be interested in those stock bars......
I have to say, these bars are probably the single best thing I've done for comfort and handling of my VN. I'll probably keep the stockers stored away for now.

Just finished a 30 mile ride, about an hour and a half jaunt around the coast, and these bars are awesome. :motorcycl

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
Stock bars always seemed a little high to me....not alot, but just a bit. The angle and width were a bit off too.

Knifemakers guide to selecting handle bars.........

Sit on your bike (when it's on the center stand) close your eyes and put your hands on your lap. Sit with your feet on the pegs and your back where it feels the best. Slowly reach out and put your hands out where it "feels" the handgrips should go...still keeping your eyes closed. When it feels your arms and hands are where they seem they should go, open your eyes and see the difference, if any, between what felt right and where the current bars are.
Helps if you have a freind to measure where your hands are in relation to whats on the bike.

With my VN, it was always about four inches closer and about four inches down, with my wrists angled a bit more out. Never got around to changing my bars however....:(

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I just dont like stock width....the wider the bars, the better control ya have....thats why I could never figure them guys with Z bars.....

...I cant see ya needin to make any changes at all to the cables....mebbe just balancing em thru them plastic strap mounts....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I absolutely love the Emgo Super wides that I installed on our 750. They are like 32" wide. Only issues other than finding a way to route the clutch cable, and hide excess wires, was that the throttle cable tubes coming out of the right side switch housing came so close to the tank, that if the tubes pivoted at all they would contact the tank. I drilled the hole in the bar a bit towards the rear of the bike to rotate the switch housing a few degrees which moved the tubes away from the tank just enough.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your brake hose is too long and mine was, I took the lines off the manifold and rerouted the one from the master cylinder to the other end of the splitter/manifold and just put them back on the opposite of the way they came from the factory.
This is a great tip. My fluid is in good shape, so it may stay as is for a bit, but I do want to change the glass on my MC. The plastic is crackly and ugly. That would be a great time to swap that cable around. Would improve the look, for sure.

You may want to get a clutch cable that is straight where it comes out of the lever assy instead of curved. I think I scrounged a set off of a 78 KZ1000.
I went ahead and ordered a clutch cable for 77-80 KZ1000 Ltd in hopes that it'll work. For $13 it's worth a shot. If it doesn't work out, I'll get a custom made from Motion Pro for around $50.

Looks promising!

Also if you don't want to drill holes in the bars, just file the little tabs off the switch housings that went in the holes on the factory bars.
I went ahead and just filed off the tabs, and I'm happy with the results. It allows me to adjust them if needed, but they don't seem to go anywhere on their own.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I installed the clutch cable for a 77-80 KZ1000 Ltd (from eBay), and it went better than expected. If I wanted to route it through the stock location, it'd need to be a +1 cable. I'm not that worried, as the routing I figured out works great. No snags, etc.

Cable was lubed with dri-slide prior to installation for longevity.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It appears when I went down in the parking lot this summer, it bent the bars a bit. I was putting around to work and felt the left side was a bit off.

I've taken the opportunity to order even shorter shorter handlebars. I'll post up my results, but it appears these will be even more comfortable. The other's had a 4 1/2 inch rise, a 7" pullback, and were 35 1/2" wide.

EMGO 23-92411
Width - 32in.
Rise - 3 1/4in.
Pullback - 3 3/4in.
Center - 5in

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
It appears when I went down in the parking lot this summer, it bent the bars a bit. I was putting around to work and felt the left side was a bit off.

I've taken the opportunity to order even shorter shorter handlebars. I'll post up my results, but it appears these will be even more comfortable. The other's had a 4 1/2 inch rise, a 7" pullback, and were 35 1/2" wide.

EMGO 23-92411
Width - 32in.
Rise - 3 1/4in.
Pullback - 3 3/4in.
Center - 5in
those appear to be the same bars I put on my 750, I liked them really well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts