Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Want to install OEM Engine Guard on my Vulcan. I have Vance and Hines pipes on my bike. The frame bolt to attach the guard on the right side touches the pipe. I have attached a photo. Has anyone run into this problem? Any suggestions on a work around?
Thank you,
JR

Attachments

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Get one of these 1 1/4" three piece clamps in black or chrome, which ever you prefer.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=1-1/4"+Black+3+Piece+Motorcycle+Frame+Clamp+Exhaust+Foot+Pegs+Lights+Speakers&_sacat=0

Remove the right and bottom bolt on the black plastic radiator cover.

Install the clamp on the frame between the top engine mount bolt in the frame and the plug weld about two inches above it.

Probably should use blue threadlock on the allen screws in the clamp.

Fabricate a 1/4" thick x 1 1/4" wide x about 2 1/2" long.

Drill a 1/2" hole 11/16" from one end to correspond to the clamp hole.

Weld 2 strips 1/4" x 3/4"" x 1 1/4" to each side of the first piece from the clamp end and centered with the 1/2" hole.
This allows a 1/2" to run along each edge of the clamp to prohibit the first piece from rocking, so making a rigid bracket.
Then drill a hole in the other end of the 2 1/2" piece to correspond to the upper engine guard bracket.

·
Super Moderator
11,825 Posts
Two steps....

#1.
Loosen up the header at the cylinder and at the rear hanger off the peg bracket. Insert a crowbar and pull the header pipe out so it does not touch the bolt. While holding it there, retighten the bolts. You will likely need to bend the hanger on the back of the pipe out also.

#2.
Remove the bolt and replace with one that has a smaller head, or grind down the one you have so it doesn't stick out so far.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Two steps....

#1.
Loosen up the header at the cylinder and at the rear hanger off the peg bracket. Insert a crowbar and pull the header pipe out so it does not touch the bolt. While holding it there, retighten the bolts. You will likely need to bend the hanger on the back of the pipe out also.

#2.
Remove the bolt and replace with one that has a smaller head, or grind down the one you have so it doesn't stick out so far.
I'd try number 1 first, but try to tweak the pipe sideways before unbolting. If it won't tweak, loosen the bolts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your suggestions! Really appreciate them, I'll get it done.

JR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts