Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
Others will chime in, but from what I understand, there is little left over power wise to run many extra's. I have a radio on my BMW and to be honest, it sucks. Only hear it at stops. I have a blu tooth that is awesome. Sounds great plus you can answer the phone and talk to other riders.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,733 Posts
Blu Tooth is the way to go! :rockon:

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Radios don't pull a lot of juice, you can't run a big amp, but I've had dead batteries that ran the radio for hours.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,733 Posts
hey guys, don't give me credit for saying Blu Tooth, it was Birdhunter02 (aka "Birddog", it's a KY., Iron Derby thing. lol) that sid it first. I was just agreeing with him.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
The one Goofyfoot2001 suggested is a nice little unit, and it would be easy to get the earbuds to fit under the helmet. the unit rests on your shoulders around your neck.
A friend of mine has one and the sound quality is great. you can listen to music from your phone while the phone is secure in your pocket or saddlebag.

I have that one on my list of things to buy.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
You don't need Bluetooth...

I just use "hard wired" earbuds plugged into my phone or MP3 player. I put 12 hours of MP3's on my iPhone or I can just listen to Pandora.

Several companies make holders for your phone/player that bolt to the handlebars, or you can just put it in your pocket. I like having at least an inline volume control sticking out somewhere so I can raise or lower the volume while riding.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought a pair of SONY headset and I took the speakers and placed them inside my helmet and ran the wired through the inside of the helmet so the connector comes out on the right of the helmet. This way the wire can reach my phone inside my pocket. And sounds great. But can't answer any calls if I get a call.

I have also tried the small earbuds but had issues with them as soon as I put the helmet on. In fact I had one of the rubber get stuck in the ear (pretty scary feeling lol) so I decided to no longer use them.

The reason I am asking about the radio is because sometimes I don't want to use my helmet but would still like to listen to my music. I was told this radio I am inquiring about comes with a small amp and maybe I could use it. I don't have a windshield so I don't know how well it would sound and maybe the Bluetooth idea would be great for those days.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
Kinda expensive if you just want to listen to music....but nice if you want phone, GPS, intercom, etc.
They also make one without the boom microphone if you wear a FF helmet.

Not sure how well guy can hear a radio with no windscreen and no helmet. Think that's what cars are for right?;)

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Is there a blu tooth out there that everyone recommends?

Thank you:smiley_th
BLinc is good. It's what's equipped in my modular helmet. Mine came with BT already in the helmet, but you can buy the M1 or M2 headset which will fit just about any helmet. The M2 has fm/am tuner option. Not sure what to recommend for not wearing a helmet as I always have one on.;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BLinc is good. It's what's equipped in my modular helmet. Mine came with BT already in the helmet, but you can buy the M1 or M2 headset which will fit just about any helmet. The M2 has fm/am tuner option. Not sure what to recommend for not wearing a helmet as I always have one on.;)
Thank you for your suggestion. I THINK I AM GOING TO CHECK OUT THE M2 style. Thanks again...
:beerchug:

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Cheap mp3 player in my leather jacket's inside pocket, running a short cord to my earphones that are jebwelded into the insides of my helmet...works great

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
I can't let this thread die without mentioning this....

Riding a bike produces wind noise that many riders don't realize. Even a good full face helmet can deliver at highway speeds sound levels that can damage your hearing. Adding speakers will of course simply increase this level, and many find they need to play their music even louder when riding to hear over the wind roar.
This is why I'm not that found of speakers you mount in the helmet...unless you're wearing noise reducing earplugs along with them.(yes, you can still hear the music)

The answer in my opinion is to wear "noise canceling" earphones. I've been using these for years, but it looks like they have been discontinued:

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/etymotic-er-6i-white.php

However, there are other companies that sell noise isolating earbuds, Sony has a few, and Bose just came out with some.

Please consider using these over cheap earbuds or wired speakers. If you do use speakers, try wearing foam earplugs also....

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,733 Posts
right now, the law here in Ohio states that you CAN NOT wear anything in your ears while riding a motorcycle. not head phones, not ear buds, not even hearing protection! you CAN use helmet speackers. they are trying to change this law, but right now it still stands.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts