Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cruisercustomizing.com has the Saddleman Jumbo Drifter by Travelcade on sale for $139.95 which includes shipping. I have been looking to upgrade so I ordered them and got them in 4 days. They come with a yoke that mounts on the bike, with quick disconnects for the bags. Since I had already bolted on my previous set, I decided to do the same with these and bolt them on using the 4 quick disconnect holes already in the bags. A couple of pieces of aluminum with holes drilled in line with holes in the bags, mounted using the support bolts, rubber washers to seal the holes and fender washers on both sides for more support. They look really good, hold a bunch more. I will takes pics when I get a chance and post them to a photos.yahoo album.

The link for the bags:
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/d...egory_ID=3&manufacturer_ID=55&product_ID=9286

The pics are at:
http://photos.yahoo.com/krustyoldphart
click on saddlebags album

Also posted to yahoo group

·
Registered
5 Posts
Howdy. I just purchased an '03 VN750 this week, and am looking
into my bag options. the dealer bags are pretty expensive, and
seem to involve both hanger brackers and a 'supports' which seem to keep
the bags outa the wheel 'well'

So you both seem to have ordered bags that just hang over (well
under) the seat... Do these bags interfere with the suspension at all?
or is there anything stopping them from possibly getting caught in
the wheel (other than the gravity from the weight of the contents?)

is there a VN750 recommended list of bags anywhere?

thanks very much!
Adam
'03 VN750, NJ

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mine don't seem to interfere with the suspension. I did end up getting some cheap supports of eBay, but honestly not sure I really needed them.

Not sure about a "recomended" list. It seems most people have Willie and Max, but I know there are other brands some have. Not sure about any of the models of Willie and Max or the other brands.

Probably not much help, sorry...Good luck...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bike had the F&S bag supports, ts relocate and luggage rack when I got it, with medium slant Willie and Max bags. Instructions with the Drifter bags indicate bag supports are needed. I can't see any way that you could keep the bag away from the rear wheel with some kind of support. You also need something to tie them down to so they won't flop around. Even bolted on like I have mine, they would move around if they weren't tied down. I am going to redo the bolt down method one rainy weekend, and will try to get some picks of the bolt on side plates that I made.

·
Registered
5 Posts
dennisinmd said:
My bike had the F&S bag supports, ts relocate and luggage rack when I got it, with medium slant Willie and Max bags. Instructions with the Drifter bags indicate bag supports are needed. Even bolted on like I have mine, they would move around if they weren't tied down.
Dennis,
The travelcade drifter jumbo bags look like a great deal. any issues with proximity to the tail pipes? from the pics, they look kinda close. Also, though
you bolted the bags down, did you happen to see issues with using the provided yoke ? the bag seems pretty big, just wondering if i should go with the 'large slant' one instead of the jumbo to be safe.

sorry for the barage of questions, and thanks for all your help.
adam

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They fit fine. The front just covers the shocks, and the back extends a bit under the extended turn signals, but open without a problem. Instructions indicated no closer than 2 inches above mufflers, mine are about 3 1/2 inches above them after I redid the mounting SUnday and dropped them about another 2 inches lower than shown in the pics.

The only issue that I can see with the yoke provided is that it doesn't leave much room to get your hand under the rear rail when putting the bike on the center stand. That is one reason why I went yokeless and bolted them on. I will post the pictures of the mounting plate I made in the same album when I get a chance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks for all your help. I purchased the bags today... though it seems i'll be waiting a while for the support kit. no one had 'em in stock, so i ordered 'em from ronayers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have added a couple of pics to my saddlebags album showing one of the mounting plates and the bag with bolts and rubber washers. The other side is a mirror image of it.

http://photos.yahoo.com/krustyoldphart

click on Saddlebags album.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. Fixed the link.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts