Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lights and protective gear thats it. Well they did have me on it while it ran so they might listen for really loud pipes too but mine are stock so they didnt say anything at all.

They don't just look at the bike they look at you!

I got my plates Tuesday from the dealer and no inspection sticker like on a new car. When I got to the DMV inpsection center they said I could have gone down to the agency office and gotten a yellow card for 4yrs instead of 2 but I dont want to rush back down there to make there 4:30 cut-off to get the sticker today....

I had to run to walmart to get reflective tape for my helmet.. I didn't remember about that from 2 yrs ago when I orginally got the book.

well it looks silly but I guess I will leave it on as its easier to be seen!

Be safe :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just titled and registered my bike today. They gave me the pink card to inspect within 14 days. I wont have my license until July 10th (I am taking the NJ Riders ED class). Hopefully I wont get stopped going to the inspection station.

Thanks for the post - I'll make sure I get that reflective tape on my helmet before inspection :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got my bike inspected last summer. Its a 2002.
My experience was alittle more involved.

1) Check electrics (lights and horn)
2) Check tires for minimum tread depth.
3) Brakes (front and rear must work). I was on the bike and basically just applied the brakes in a slow coast.
4) Check helmet for appropriate reflective stickers. Keep in mind that you can't just throw any sized reflective sticker you want on the helmet. There is a minimum size, and placement is important too. The MSF course will GIVE you the stickers that meet the minimum requirements (4 of them) to put on your helmet. They are basic....but until you can find something better for which you like...they do the job and get thru inspection.
5) Paperwork. Dont worry about being later than the 14 days. I was over 30 days....no problem as long as all your other paperwork is ok.

If you purchased a brand new bike from a dealer, I suppose the inspection may not be as involved.....Good Luck and stay safe!

Dom

·
Registered
277 Posts
hi ,

i just had my bike inspected 2 weeks ago, in jersey also. had my inspection helmet with the reflective tape. like everyone has posted, all they do is look at the tires, turn signals, both brake lights, paperwork, & kill switch. took all of 2 minutes. a piece of cake. gee,
i wish they were that quick with my truck.

if you go to inspection with your learner's permit, just have a licensed biker with you.

ride safe, john

P.S. just an FYI, you can get reflective tape in colors to match your helmet. in fact there is a guy in jersey who sells it on ebay.
i have a flat black nolan outlaw helmet and got black 3-M reflective tape on it. you don't even notice it till dark when a light shines on it. boy does it light up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Some of the cops up here are no too friendly. I was in Montville, leaving work on my way to get my truck re-inspected (failed for license plate lights). When I failed, they took the sticker out an put only a rejected sticker on. So I am headed to the Randolph inspection station when a cop pulls me over. I knew what he was doing since I was not speeding. He comes up to the truck and orders me out of the vehicle. I almost laughed and asked him why. "You are driving arund with a rejected sticker". I explained what I failed for and handed him the paper that was on the passenger seat. He tried to trick me and ask me if I was going to Morristown (which is the opposite direction).

So if I get pulled over by a cop like that, he will probably impound the bike.

·
Geek
872 Posts
I got a two year sticker from the dealer when I bought it last year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts