Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Youngster
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the last few weeks I have been dealing with no start issues. I did the routine checks, fuses, air/fuel/spark. Found I wasn't getting spark, thought it was coils... Talked to a local used bike parts merchant who seems to know his stuff and he recommended the CDI may have blown. My stator has died a long time ago, and I've not had the time to fix it and its at least $500 in labor before parts for the stealership to do it. Anyways I have been using the charger on it usually on the 2 amp float charge. One morning I got impatient and put on the 50amp START mode and obviously that was a bad choice lol. So I got the coil tested and its still got continuity so I've got another CDI coming. Took the old one off today and here's some cool pics. I've seen on a thread or two that getting in to these is a pain so I naturally messed with it. I broke it in the process, big surprise, but with very gentle touch and a more useful tool than a screwdriver you could try to fix it yourself.

Attachments

·
Youngster
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On a side note. After taking off the cdi, I looked at the fuse on my coil wiring mod. And I blew that 15 amp fuse, I think that might be why it's not starting... Maybe I didn't need a new CDI after all haha

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
On a side note. After taking off the cdi, I looked at the fuse on my coil wiring mod. And I blew that 15 amp fuse, I think that might be why it's not starting... Maybe I didn't need a new CDI after all haha
Ouch ! :(

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Oh that sucks, finding the fuse after opening the unit. Still, pretty cool looking with all those resisters and diodes.

·
Youngster
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah its very confusing, glad I didn't have to design how it works lol. It's ok Ive found a used one on ebay for $60 shipped. Normally they are upwards of $100-$130 used

·
Youngster
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I bought a windshield from you last year lol. I was thinking about jumping back on here to get some help before I took things off but hindsight is 20/20

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I for one would really love to know if your CDI was in fact bad or not.

These rarely fail so it would be nice to document it if it is bad.

Let us know please.

·
Youngster
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd like to know the same kc. However, when I took it out of the case, I broke off the corners of the electrical board. So I don't think testing it at this point would be useful. I've heard they expand when broken, saw wolfie say that on a thread. Mine wasn't bloated, looked normal. I'm thinkin I just blew the relay fuse and thus no spark was getting out.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I have never heard of one failing let alone that they expand.
I guess if it got hot the plastic casing might deform, but other than some capacitors in there, I don't see much that could swell or go bad.

It sucks that the PCB got damaged, because it would work without the plastic casing. Can you physically see any broken traces on the board, or are the corners all solid copper ground planes? If just the corners of the ground plane is damaged, I bet it still works

I'd like to know the same kc. However, when I took it out of the case, I broke off the corners of the electrical board. So I don't think testing it at this point would be useful. I've heard they expand when broken, saw wolfie say that on a thread. Mine wasn't bloated, looked normal. I'm thinkin I just blew the relay fuse and thus no spark was getting out.

·
Youngster
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the first 2 pics I posted in the first post you can see one side that clearly broke off, and actually all 3 are broken off. The middle one actually broke a copper line, but the sides are ok.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
In the first 2 pics I posted in the first post you can see one side that clearly broke off, and actually all 3 are broken off. The middle one actually broke a copper line, but the sides are ok.
if it were me...I would solder in a jumper for the broken trace with a wire and see if it still works as good as the new one. I'ts always good to have a spare in a pinch I suppose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts