Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my initiation riding today - first time my boots filled up entirely to ankles with water; first time I was hit at speed with LARGE hail without a break for a while; first time the wind was so strong I had to lean the bike going straight and felt kicked all over the place. First time I was so soaked I wrung out my underwear multiple times.

How come they never mentioned any of this in MSF bsc? :wink2:

I did not stop and there was no cover nearby anyway. Whew. I feel initiated. On the plus side I think it helps a little with confidence and those economy Shinko tourmaster tires did OK in deep water.

I was concerned about my K&N pod filters as I've heard mixed reports. But things ran fine though I kept the rpm slightly higher than typical but I guess there was no good reason

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
My opinion on rain with pods... No problem, unless you go underwater, as in lake or river.

Filters are oiled, sheds water.

Light water intake will just get burned off as steam, and take carbon away with it. I use water fairly often to clean out combustion chambers, pistons, etc. Good for spark plugs too.

Back in the late 70s-early 80s, aftermarket water injection kits were sold for cars to help with detonation. Can't say it was real popular though.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,201 Posts
I've run through rain,sleet,hail,high winds,dust,mud,no problems

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
Welcome to the "Rainsuit? We don neid no steeenking rainsuits!" Club.

Last year I left work a bit early to try and avoid a thunderstorm. Rain started the second I pulled out of the parking lot....and did not stop for the whole 40 mile ride home. Luckily it wasn't too cold out, I just started getting the shivers as I hit my driveway.
Years before that I was crossing Missouri north to south. Rained all the way. I would stop in a small towns laundry mat, dry my clothes, and head back out....ride 50-75 miles and do it again. Repeated this about four times till I finally hit a town big enough to have a chain store I could buy a rain suit at. Just as I put the suit on....and it stopped raining......

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,201 Posts
Welcome to the "Rainsuit? We don neid no steeenking rainsuits!" Club.

Last year I left work a bit early to try and avoid a thunderstorm. Rain started the second I pulled out of the parking lot....and did not stop for the whole 40 mile ride home. Luckily it wasn't too cold out, I just started getting the shivers as I hit my driveway.
Years before that I was crossing Missouri north to south. Rained all the way. I would stop in a small towns laundry mat, dry my clothes, and head back out....ride 50-75 miles and do it again. Repeated this about four times till I finally hit a town big enough to have a chain store I could buy a rain suit at. Just as I put the suit on....and it stopped raining......
Scientists have been trying to control weather for years.who knew a rainsuit was the answer;)

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
yea, no stinking rain suit here either. of course, 95% of my riding is under 10 miles, but there have been times I have gotten home, and could have grabbed a bar of soap and finished up my monthly shower...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,201 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I got caught yesterday in probably the same storm. The seat funnels all the water straight to between my legs, pooling enough to completely submerge the sensitive bits in cold water before overflowing into the boots. Good times.

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
I got caught yesterday in probably the same storm. The seat funnels all the water straight to between my legs, pooling enough to completely submerge the sensitive bits in cold water before overflowing into the boots. Good times.
Shrinkage! :surprise:

I'm getting off the road if it starts dropping hail on me.

Came home one day to find hail up to softball size piled 2ft high on the side of my house. Car in the driveway was a total loss.

Imagine rounding a turn on your bike and the road is suddenly covered with ice balls of any size. Hell I had a flock of frogs almost wipe me out. Pop-pop-pop-pop ... dried frog guts all over/under the fenders and wheels by the time I got home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts