Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a cross-post from the Trans / Rear forum -- didn't mean to post all that there.

I've got a 98 Vulcan 750 with another problem that's nagging me (yes, just got it back from the shop for the new stator, regulator *and* rectifier; thanks for asking). :doh:

I can't get a good idle to save my life. No combination of choke and idle-speed adjustment screw will result in a smooth, stable idle. It's always dying or racing (like nearly 3G's racing). The shop also noticed it when it was in for the stator and said they couldn't find any vacuum leaks, and 'blew out the bowls' (although I'm not sure what that would do to help the situation). They also indicated that they didn't think a full carb rebuild would likely fix the problem.

Ideas, or what should I be looking for?

·
Registered
97 Posts
When I first got my bike it would no matter how I adjusted the idle shoot up to 3k Rpms. I would readjust at stop lights and it would be right back up by time I came to a stop again.

Not sure if its the same as what your is doing but I had a friend help me pull the carbs and we gave them a good cleaning. Thing ran like a champ after. Idle still sits at a solid 1100. I just had to repull the carbs to clean the floats today because of a flooding issue but thats because we were stripping the screws when we had them off before and couldn't get to them at the time.

Im sure more will come in with easier things to check first but if all else fails a good carb cleaning never hurts.

Good luck hope you find the problem soon I know a bike that doesn't idle well can be a pain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts