Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a 5 year old thread on the msgroup forum about a campaign in the UK to get everyone to list their next of kin contact number in their cell phone directory under the acronym *ICE*- In Case of Emergency. A response from a writer the USA said it was being introduced there as well.

Emergency responders would be trained to look for *ICE* in the victim`s/patient`s cell phone directory when needed. This seems to me to be an efficient and prudent method to allow authorities to contact your family quickly, in the event of an accident or medical emergency where you are not able to call for yourself.

Has anyone else ever heard of this idea before?

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
Emergency responders would be trained to look for *ICE* in the victim`s/patient`s cell phone directory when needed. This seems to me to be an efficient and prudent method to allow authorities to contact your family quickly, in the event of an accident or medical emergency where you are not able to call for yourself.

Has anyone else ever heard of this idea before?
Uh, yes. My phone has had my wife listed under "ICE" for a few years now. I thought everyone in the US knew about this...........

Even though your phone might be destroyed in a crash, most phones now have sim cards that contain your address book....which can be read on another phone if needed. So make sure you save your address book to your sim card, (and make sure you list your emergency contact number under ICE first.)

You can also list other contacts by relationship..like - Daughter, Son , Doctor, etc...as these might be helpfull to...especially if your emergency contact is sitting behind you on the bike. ;)

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uh, yes. My phone has had my wife listed under "ICE" for a few years now. I thought everyone in the US knew about this...........

Even though your phone might be destroyed in a crash, most phones now have sim cards that contain your address book....which can be read on another phone if needed. So make sure you save your address book to your sim card, (and make sure you list your emergency contact number under ICE first.)

You can also list other contacts by relationship..like - Daughter, Son , Doctor, etc...as these might be helpfull to...especially if your emergency contact is sitting behind you on the bike. ;)

KM
Thanks for the update KM. Probably everyone in the US does know about ICE, but I`m in Canada, and I still don`t own a cell phone.

I read a security related post or email somewhere a few months ago warning us to list names like Dave or Sue in cell directories, not relationships like Mom or Dad. I don`t recall the whole rationale behind it, but was along the lines of making it harder for scam artists to identify parents or grandparents if the phone was stolen or lost, and they said a child was in jail and needed money for bail or injured and needed immmediate medical aid, etc.

This doesn`t really compromise the ICE program as the person accessing the directory does not know the relationship of the phone`s owner to the emergency contact. I hope this makes sense.

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
I read a security related post or email somewhere a few months ago warning us to list names like Dave or Sue in cell directories, not relationships like Mom or Dad. I don`t recall the whole rationale behind it, but was along the lines of making it harder for scam artists to identify parents or grandparents if the phone was stolen or lost, and they said a child was in jail and needed money for bail or injured and needed immmediate medical aid, etc..

Well, all you would have to do to see if the "scam artist" knows your name....

Your daughter is in jail and needs money!

Sure she is, tell me my name?

Dad?

LOL.

I think folks are just a bit too paranoid these days, and it seems, not as smart.

I think if both me and my wife were in an accident and unable to respond, I would really appreciate it if the hospital knew that those folks names in our cell phones, out of all the others in there, were our children.

And btw, if my daughter lost her phone and someone called me, from "dad" likely the listing on her phone, we have a family "password" to tell if the folks on the other end were for real or not. (other than them knowing my name, address, where I work, my cats name, what kind of car I drive, etc...)

;)

KM

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Paramedics are more likely to steal my phone than to search it for a phone number here, so I don't think it would do much good in my case. Great idea though!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Google "in case of emergency ICE" and you'll find their official website containing ICE logos, info and business cards templates. I used Microsoft Publisher and the official ICE logos to print cards for both my wife and myself. Along with ICE programmed into my phone, I carry physical cards in my wallet, my riding jacket and in the tool trunk along with the registration. Seems like overkill, but I want my advocate notified ASAP if I'm ever incapacitated.

·
Registered
162 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency has some info on this. One of my previous Verizon phones (Chocolate2 maybe?) actually had a built-in ICE entry.

However...
For security purposes many mobile phone owners now lock their mobiles requiring a passcode to be entered in order to access the device. This hinders the ability of first responders to access the ICE phone list entry. In response to this problem many device manufacturers have provided a mechanism to specify some text to be displayed while the mobile is in the locked state. The owner of the phone can specify their "In Case of Emergency" contact and also a "Lost and Found" contact. For example, Blackberry mobiles permit the "Owner" information to be set in the Settings -> Options -> Owner menu item.
I think I might actually prefer Chris' idea of having (multiple) cards printed up with the info. I work for a bank, and my iPhone is linked to my network account there, so I simply need to have it locked. There are multiple iPhone ICE apps, but if I'm incapacitated, nobody would be able to see any of that info. It could still be helpful if I'm capable of opening the phone to that app for them, but otherwise unable to communicate.

With simple cards like Chris described, you don't have to worry about a locked, broken, lost, drained, or too-complicated phone. http://www.medids.com/free-id.php is a page that will generate a card for you with contact and medical info (sample).

Road ID is another option. They've got a variety of formats and should be a little more durable than a paper card. I think I originally saw the link in another thread here.

·
Redneck on a rice burner
179 Posts
My wife & I have had ICE for years. Like American Express-Don't leave home with out it !. P.S. I don't have C.C.'s anymore.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I just have mom, dad, and ol lady in mine

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
I read a security related post or email somewhere a few months ago warning us to list names like Dave or Sue in cell directories, not relationships like Mom or Dad. I don`t recall the whole rationale behind it, but was along the lines of making it harder for scam artists to identify parents or grandparents if the phone was stolen or lost, and they said a child was in jail and needed money for bail or injured and needed immmediate medical aid, etc.
I had my dad listed in my cell phone directory as DAD. Left the phone somewhere in a hospital and a kind stranger called my dad and told him he found my phone and is leaving it at the security booth. Got my phone an hour later.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I think that all the focus on cell phones as the primary source of I.C.E. info might be a bit misguided. If I came across someone incapacitated, I would first look for a medical alert bracelet and then the wallet as the primary source of information. The last thing I would do is fumble around with a foreign cell phone.

There are plenty of places online that will generate a free I.C.E. card, but it could be just a piece of paper with the appropriate information. IMHO the printed I.C.E. information carried in the wallet, placed with or in front of your license, provides a good backup (if not a primary) way to communicate.

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
I think that all the focus on cell phones as the primary source of I.C.E. info might be a bit misguided. If I came across someone incapacitated, I would first look for a medical alert bracelet and then the wallet as the primary source of information. The last thing I would do is fumble around with a foreign cell phone.
Yes, but I rather a qualified EMT be the one going through my pockets if I crash... ;)

I also do not carry a "wallet" on my person when I ride. I have my drivers licence and insurance card locked in the tail case or on the "glove box" on my bike. I think the ICE cards are a good idea, print up a bunch of them ,fill them out and stick them in all the pockets of all your gear....but do to the popularity of cell phones, many EMT's do look for your cell phone...

I would of course not rely just on a phone as the "primary source of I.C.E. info"

I know they make those USB dog tags that you can download any info you think will be helpfull and wear it around your neck, this might be a good idea too.

Back in the day....I used one of those tape type label guns to add the following info to the outside back of my helmet:

No allergies
Blood type O neg
Emergency contact:
314-555-5555

Would guess it does not hurt to cover as many bases with this as you can, cards, phone, tags, etc.

Hopefully, my freinds, it will be something that never is needed.

KM

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Yes, but I rather a qualified EMT be the one going through my pockets if I crash... ;)

I also do not carry a "wallet" on my person when I ride. I have my drivers licence and insurance card locked in the tail case or on the "glove box" on my bike. I think the ICE cards are a good idea, print up a bunch of them ,fill them out and stick them in all the pockets of all your gear....but do to the popularity of cell phones, many EMT's do look for your cell phone...

I would of course not rely just on a phone as the "primary source of I.C.E. info"

I know they make those USB dog tags that you can download any info you think will be helpfull and wear it around your neck, this might be a good idea too.

Back in the day....I used one of those tape type label guns to add the following info to the outside back of my helmet:

No allergies
Blood type O neg
Emergency contact:
314-555-5555

Would guess it does not hurt to cover as many bases with this as you can, cards, phone, tags, etc.

Hopefully, my freinds, it will be something that never is needed.

KM
JC whitney has a little pouch that fits over your helmet strap and lays flat facing outward so it is visible for just storing such information,looks pretty slick.and unobtrusive and it would definitely be easily seen,I just wonder if it would be comfortable and not gouge your neck with any seams.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts