Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fun being stranded. Horror stories to follow. www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?p=776185&posted=1#post776185

Damn bike burns the 10 amp tail fuse every time I just turn the key on now. This means I have no gauges at night for speed and no running light. Brake still lights up though.

Phone only, expensive data. Hard to search the forums. Any ideas? I have no parts or tools until I get home but I'd like to avoid getting pulled over or run over

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
First just start looking for wires touching the frame. Obviously a short so if a hot side is touching the frame, that will ground out and burn the fuse. Not sure if you can get the seat or headlight apart in your current predicament but those are the obvious, first places to look.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
If you have a lot of fuses, you can start removing one light at a time until the fuse doesn't blow. If it's a light or wire to the light, that will tell ya.

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
The horn wires will do that, mine was loose and once in a while would touch the tree and blow, I would check that first.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
If you have brake lights, can you pull the fuse and run daylight only. Hand turn signals.

I have probably rode further w/o turn signals/ rear running lights than I have with. Not sure it is legal now.

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still burning them with my horn disconnected. No bare or shorted wires that I can find...

Battery died on me again, but that was after 2 hrs of 20 mph traffic jam? Stop and go, I'm the heat

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
That would mean you are burning more electricity than you are producing. It's a fine line is my guess. I haven't ever been in 2hrs of traffic that slow but, very possible the you are at the limit of what a stator can do at those low RPMs. How did your temp gauge look? Also remember, when metal gets hot, it is more resistant, so needs more juice to overcome the resistance. The heat and the marginal stators we have could have just tipped the scale and there really isn't anything wrong with the bike.

·
Registered
277 Posts
When my bike was having stator issues, I disconnected the headlight while riding in stop and go traffic in the daytime... made a huge difference... eventually I wired in a switch...

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I may d/c the headlight for the daytime if there's any crazy traffic. Never been a problem before though even in the heat. But those traffic jams..

Any ideas on the brake light? Burned 2 more fuses in a row just by turning my ignition to run. Brake light still working...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Did you check the bullet connectors up by your fan that the rear brake sensor is connected to? Maybe you could even disconnect them, and see if that eliminates the sensor from the equation...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts