Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I remember a thread posted quite a while ago that talked about what to do if your became sick or incapacited while riding. IIRC, placing your helmet on the ground, right side up to the left side of the bike (in countries where you drive on the right side of the road) is a universal signal to other riders that you need help.

Does anyone else remember this thread, or know if this idea is correct?

I need a link for the Alberta Independant Lone Wolves association website which I just found. (edit. not 1%er motorcycle club. Thanks Dianna, I have not heard of the Lone Wolf MC). There is a thread where 2 guys are discussing this very topic, of how to signal you need help. I know someone out there knows this.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Never heard of this before.

And as I would guess most motorists have not either, doing so would be thus pointless. If you can not wave down a car for help , lack a cell phone , or fear you might need emergency help...(Like you think you are having a heart attack) I would lay the bike on its side and lay down behind it...

Anyone seeing this should stop imediately thinking you crashed.........

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have never heard of this KM, maybe I am mistaken. I do recall a rider posting that he did as you suggest though. His bike was on the side and he couldn`t pick it up. No one would stop to help, so he went a 100 feet or so back up the road and laid down. Sure enough the next car stopped to see if he was hurt. He wasn`t, but the driver helped him pick up his bike.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I always carry both a cell phone and a GPS unit. If I need help, I can use the cell phone to call, and the GPS to give them my exact location. When I ride my dirt bike way back into the middle of nowhere in the AZ desert, I carry my handheld 2 meter ham radio. It will get out where a cell phone won't. Of course, none of this would do any good if you were unconscious or unable to move. I wouldn't lay the bike down, if you survive, you will regret that, and I don't think it would do any good anyway. If you can do anything, just lay down on the shoulder behind the bike, and hope you don't get run over. I would certainly stop for any motorcyclist laying on the ground. Jerry.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,718 Posts
Never heard of this before.

And as I would guess most motorists have not either, doing so would be thus pointless. If you can not wave down a car for help , lack a cell phone , or fear you might need emergency help...(Like you think you are having a heart attack) I would lay the bike on its side and lay down behind it...

Anyone seeing this should stop imediately thinking you crashed.........

KM
same here. never hear of this.

we were told to in our MSC to do what Knifemake says to do.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
I have heard of it but never seen it used (and it sure didn't work for me when I tried it!).
Some discussions on it..
http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3181

I'm assuming that you are referring to the Lone Wolf Association (bikers that ride without any club affiliation) rather than the Lone Wolf MC (a 1% group)

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
"In an emergency, where do you place your helmet to signal to indicate you need help? "

In the middle of the road! ;)

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Right side up in the middle of a circle of burning road flares of course.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,718 Posts
just had a thought....what if you don't have a helmet? most of the riders I know don't wear a helmet.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Or..........
Get one of those Silver Emergency Blankets and write "Need Help" on one side.

Then stow it on the Bike & When Your in Need of Help just hang it on the side of it.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lone Wolves - Independant riders

I have heard of it but never seen it used (and it sure didn't work for me when I tried it!).
Some discussions on it..
http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3181

I'm assuming that you are referring to the Lone Wolf Association (bikers that ride without any club affiliation) rather than the Lone Wolf MC (a 1% group)
Thanks for the link to the msgroup, Dianna. That must be where I read about using your helmet to signal for help, but at just a glance, that particular thread doesn`t look familiar to me.

I went back and edited my reference to the Alberta Lone Wolves. Here is a link to the Alberta Lone Wolves website, and an explanation of what an Independant rider is, and is not: http://www.ablonewolves.webs.com/

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
just had a thought....what if you don't have a helmet? most of the riders I know don't wear a helmet.
Then they themselves should go lay in the middle of the road.

IF they say that is crazy, and dangerous, tell them is it no more crazy than riding without a helmet......... ;)

KM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts