Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
theses bikes just go out or is there a tell tail sign before they stop charging?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
usually they just go out... just like an alternator on a car... no warning, just stops charging... either the bike leaves you stranded, or you have to jump it off in the morning.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Yeah. When they go, they go. But! If one leg goes & it's a small break in the coating on the windings then it can seem like a pending failure.
Are you seeing something with your volt meter?

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
with my engine hot im getting 12.9 volts at idle if I rev it up to 1500-2000 I get my green 13.5 volts, I always got a green light at idle unless the fan kicked on... cruising im getting my full green lights so 14.5v maybe on the big end , all the testing was with a dvom on my battery .. do AGM batteries have a long service life? mine is roughly 3 years old and never been on a tender . I ride about 14k miles a year though so it bike has 28,000+ miles

am I being over cautious ? im planning a dragon trip mid june for a weekend so it will see 1500 miles from Friday till Monday ( 14-17th)
im thinking about taking the nomad down but I really like the 750 in tight twisties!

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
The hot tip for AGM batteries is charging with a power supply.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_with_a_power_supply

Not the article I was wanting to post, but has some info. The other article said there's something about the way the power supply delivers current that benefits the battery, the sine waves or cycles (something like that) reversing sulphation.

I'm using a cordless phone charger that has an output of 12v DC @ 500ma.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
am I being over cautious ? im planning a dragon trip mid june for a weekend so it will see 1500 miles from Friday till Monday ( 14-17th)
im thinking about taking the nomad down but I really like the 750 in tight twisties!
with the numbers you stated it looks good... if you are scared your batttery isn't up for the task... fork out the money and get a new one. as for the stator and R/R... i suggest talking to GCEXTREEME for a stator mod plate and get a spare stator to have with you. that way if it does fail you have your spare that you could install in a matter of minutes on the side of the road.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
with the numbers you stated it looks good... if you are scared your batttery isn't up for the task... fork out the money and get a new one. as for the stator and R/R... i suggest talking to GCEXTREEME for a stator mod plate and get a spare stator to have with you. that way if it does fail you have your spare that you could install in a matter of minutes on the side of the road.
i was going to replace it just for the age factor . i ll use the old on in my lawn tractor or something

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tested my leads at the RR all are good but one lead is only charging 28vac at 4krpms it charges above idle though once I rode for 40 mins the electrical system can support my aux lights on the hwy . Looks like my stator is puking out on me at 29370 miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts