Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But damn for the life of me cant install that new choke cable!!Gotta get way up under the frame/breather assembly AND a tiny spot there between the carbs.Freakin got a lot "disassembled" (gas tank off,filter pods,ect,ect) then called it quits when I saw really no way to remove breather assembly 'cause its tight in the frame and wrapped around the engine.So the bullchit is guess I'm gonna do a "rig" on the broke cable.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
No don't do that, there's a PDF works manual on line, can't find the link just now, but here's a picture off it, what bit are you finding hard? Hardest (fiddly) bit is getting it hooked into the car and the outer elbow sits into a bracket on one of the carbs , the cable just feeds up through the frame along the side of the intake shroud! Patience!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
No don't do that, there's a PDF works manual on line, can't find the link just now, but here's a picture off it, what bit are you finding hard? Hardest (fiddly) bit is getting it hooked into the car and the outer elbow sits into a bracket on one of the carbs , the cable just feeds up through the frame along the side of the intake shroud! Patience!

Sorry the pic isint too clear but you can zoom!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nice try but ....more help!:frown2:
Think the manual download is on the forum somewhere I'm sure. I know it's a fiddly job, I had problems myself, thought all was fitted right but wasn't just right at the carbs, caused the choke to stick on, but I persevered and got sorted in the end! Good luck with it!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Think the manual download is on the forum somewhere I'm sure. I know it's a fiddly job, I had problems myself, thought all was fitted right but wasn't just right at the carbs, caused the choke to stick on, but I persevered and got sorted in the end! Good luck with it!

Do these help any?

·
Registered
79 Posts
hang in there, spent hours trying to work on those carbs, If I have to do anything to those carbs now, I just rip all that stuff out of there and go to pods and remove the air box so I can see the carb when I take the tank off.
i've went to the dealer to see how much and if they have a problem taking off and putting on carbs, they do its about 500 dollars.
if the cable is all you got wrong see how much it is for them to put it on, let someone else try it, but if you are going to work on it in the future, I would take all that stuff out now while you got it apart. good luck

·
Registered
129 Posts
But damn for the life of me cant install that new choke cable!!Gotta get way up under the frame/breather assembly AND a tiny spot there between the carbs.Freakin got a lot "disassembled" (gas tank off,filter pods,ect,ect) then called it quits when I saw really no way to remove breather assembly 'cause its tight in the frame and wrapped around the engine.So the bullchit is guess I'm gonna do a "rig" on the broke cable.

Here's another few fotos I found that might help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys....screwed up some BS so bike don't want to start very well....pops/backfires.Wears my newer sealed battery down too!!Can be jumped then it runs/idles OK and can ride....so we'll see.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here we go...

Damn...I can start it fine...SOMETIMES!!Then I ride it no issues,started fine yesterday evening (77 degrees) rode very well battery shows full.This morning (5:45am temp 60) start good idle 10-15 seconds quit......turn over, turn over, turn over...wont restart.Drive The Cage to work.:frown2:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tried a jumpstart...just in case battery low....outside Temp 80 (nice).Crank,crank,crank...no start!!Guess I gotta get "Raped by the Ape"...go to a Shop $$$.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So....got my Vulcan to "The Shop",they gonna install the choke cable.Told them about the BS starting issue...guy said could be just a loose/not sealed intake connection.We shall see.:confused:

·
Registered
129 Posts
So....got my Vulcan to "The Shop",they gonna install the choke cable.Told them about the BS starting issue...guy said could be just a loose/not sealed intake connection.We shall see.:confused:
Do you mean a split or not sealing rubber intake, would cause a really weak mixture, prob would only run with the choke on? I sent you some fotos of the cable former and routing, it is a bit fiddly, not a lot of room in there. Good luck and hope you'll finally get it sorted

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ive done this a few times, much easier after the first time. If you have stock air-box I highly suggest trashing it, earshaving and rejetting as needed accordingly.

Several of the posted pictures with labels were exactly what I needed to get mine right, but keep all the cables in stock position and length. no jerry rigging here.

YOU can do this - you'll be happier you saved money and know the bike better for it. are you confident your carbs are truly all in good order internally and linkage assembly. I learned there are a few mistakes you or another can make if you ever disassembled the rods and linkages.

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
I've podded and tuned more of these carbs than I care to remember and got them all running like champs. I second yanking the intake. You'll likely need to rejet a bit and/or shim the carbs even with stock exhaust. I've posted a rejetting calculator on this and other forums.

If it's running like crap, 95% of the time it's in the carbs, not a vacuum leak or anything else. Spray carb cleaner or something else flammable around the intake boots when it's running to check for leaks. Once it catches, you should be able to keep it running with a touch of throttle and no choke until it's warm. If not, you've got carb issues.

I'm sure you can get that choke cable on though. Loosen the handlebar adjuster, insert the bead on the carb end and then fit the metal L-bend into its bracket on the carbs. If you need to, you can disassemble the choke lever to pull the bead otu of that end for slack.

You CAN do the carbs single-handed but it's 10x easier with a helper to pry up on the plastic intake plenum while you insert/remove them. Give it a good hard pry, and it's almost as easy as on a "shaved" and podded bike. You don't even need to take off the plenum-to-carb boots. Just be sure you leave the front carb-to-head boot on the head, and the rear comes out with the carbs. And keep them aligned rotationally. There's a little nub of rubber that aligns with a nub of metal on the heads.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK picked up the Vulcan Friday,they got that choke cable in there AND figured out "start" issue.Charged me $100 bucks....so I'm good!!(Start issue... float stick so it causes (1) cylinder to flood,chitty for starting!!They suggest I TURN OFF GAS every time I park bike...few minutes/few hours...don't matter.)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guy at shop swears by this stuff...though I mentioned seafoam.So I added a bit of this K100...hope it will "unstick" the float!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts