Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has been riding bikes for a long time now. And out of the blue, my mom decided that she wanted to start riding. She started on a crappy little scooter to learn and then bought a 2002 Vulcan 750. But it turns out that a previous owner tried to bore out the cylinders. It rode, but it rode crappy. So they found a used motor for $600, and it didn't run well also. So they decided to stop wasting money and just buy a brand new bike. They told me this weekend that I can have it if I wanted to run it till it dies. SWEET!!! But here's where I need help. I have looked around trying to find a new motor, and have found nothing. Do you guys have any ideas on what I can do or where I can have the motor completely overhauled and possibly bored?

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Where do you live? Do you have some mechanical experience? If you have the interest to work on it yourself, there is more experience and know how on this forum than a Kawasaki technician has. They will guide you step by step. There is a link to a downloadable copy of a service manual for these bikes in seebeeare's signature. It's a big file, and I would suggest you also get a paper copy Clymer or Kawasaki service manual as well. You say the bike doesn't run well. What are the symptoms?

Were the carbs on the new engine cleaned thoroughly? That may be all that's wrong with it, but it's hard to say. Adding a half can of Sea Foam to a tank of gas may help clean the carbs without having to pull them.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
My dad has been riding bikes for a long time now. And out of the blue, my mom decided that she wanted to start riding. She started on a crappy little scooter to learn and then bought a 2002 Vulcan 750. But it turns out that a previous owner tried to bore out the cylinders. It rode, but it rode crappy. So they found a used motor for $600, and it didn't run well also. So they decided to stop wasting money and just buy a brand new bike. They told me this weekend that I can have it if I wanted to run it till it dies. SWEET!!! But here's where I need help. I have looked around trying to find a new motor, and have found nothing. Do you guys have any ideas on what I can do or where I can have the motor completely overhauled and possibly bored?

Wow, I wish I still had that enthusiasm.:pepper:
Your going to have that bike running for sure. Your going to be hit with allot of suggestions of where to start. I suggest making a check list of all the suggestions. This way you can easily keep track of what you have & have not done. You'll thank me in the end. :smiley_th

·
Registered
209 Posts
you know if the guy bored it out, he probably never bothered to adjust the fuel air mixture. probably get a guy to adjust your carbs to the right specs and see what happens.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
I'll weigh in and say that you need to clearly define "rode crappy" and "didn't run well." A lot of the possible issues have very little to do with the internals. It could be something as simple as the mixture not being correct. Beofre you start spending big $$ on new or used engine parts, let us help you figure out if you even need to do all that. Start with full specs on the bike, is it stock, mileage, did it sit for any length of time before your mom bought it and so on.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
I want to stress that everyone on this site can help, even if it turns out ot be internal engine issues. There are quite a few folks here who have done tear downs and rebuilds.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the madness.

X2. define what is wrong before starting to tear it apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts