Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Im a idiot i feel like prides hurt could teally use some direction

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  OleDirtyDoc 
#1 ·
I have 2009 vulcan classic..lost key tried wiring it wouldnt work also fuse box got ripped off ....how can I start my bike done alotcwiring I can get everything on but not fuel pump can directly but still no start ..I know li messed up but I cant not afforded a ignition I'm broke trying to get it running been stuck for 2 months now ....how can I get it to run till I can afford the right stuff please help any advice would be greatly appreciated thank yall for u time

#2 ·
Sorry to hear that you're stuck. This forum is dedicated to the 750, which has completely different wiring, and doesn't even have a fuel pump, so there's not much we can do here to help you.

#4 ·
Yes, EFI is indeed a nightmare, and a very expensive and failure prone one, with a huge number of expensive parts that carbureted bikes not only don't need but run better without. Every single one of my six bikes is carbureted.

#5 ·
I have 2009 vulcan classic..lost key tried wiring it wouldnt work also fuse box got ripped off ....how can I start my bike done alotcwiring I can get everything on but not fuel pump can directly but still no start ..I know li messed up but I cant not afforded a ignition I'm broke trying to get it running been stuck for 2 months now ....how can I get it to run till I can afford the right stuff please help any advice would be greatly appreciated thank yall for u time
Try a forum dedicated to the newer Vulcans. This one is dedicated to the 700/750 and you will get a better response from a forum more dedicated to your bike

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spockster
#10 ·
The extended backrest holds the seat in place just fine. A carburetor can be tuned to work a lot better than any EFI setup. A single cable throttle has less drag and one less cable to fail. I have found that a single front disc and the drum rear to be a perfect braking setup for the Vulcan 750. It has been tested without problems for over 100K miles. There are things I won't do. Tow a trailer with a motorcycle. Might work fine until you get into a sticky situation where you need to stop fast or take evasive action. Then you are screwed but good Using car tires on the back of a motorcycle has been proven safe over hundreds of millions of miles, but I still won't do it.

An EFI system has about 5 times as many parts as a carburetor setup, which consists of a carburetor and a petcock. And all those extra parts are computerized electronics which are very expensive, prone to failure, and extremely difficult to work on. And they serve no purpose. Carburetors have been proven over 120 years. A guy on another forum just had the fuel pump fail on his Yamaha Zuma 125 scooter. A new one costs $523. And that is on a tiny little run around town scooter. Add up the cost of the fuel pump, throttle body, ECU, 8 sensors, and several other small parts. It comes to over $2000 And for what? Why does something need to be that complicated and expensive and difficult to work on?? On my 1979 Vespa carbureted 2 stroke manual shift, manual clutch scooter, you can replace the entire engine/transmission for half that. A new Vespa carburetor costs $150. And it runs perfectly. The more complicated something is, the more there is to go wrong, and the more it is going to cost. But modern bikes (as well as cars) were never meant to be fixed. They are disposable. When one breaks down, recycle it and buy another new one. No thanks.

#12 ·
In the name of safety, let's remove one front brake caliper. Yup. Sounds like a great idea. What could possibly go wrong...

Reactions: Spockster
#13 ·
In all reality technology is going to progress regardless of whether you like it or not, you can embrace change or condemn it, but it’s gonna happen. You’re entitled to like “the way things were” but implying that the entire automotive industry is wrong by adopting new technology and a sole opinion is correct is laughable.
Another thing that is worth mentioning is most folks don’t really want to work on their vehicles, They want them to run and be dependable. I’m a technical guy by nature and I like to know how things work but I’d much rather prefer that my truck, car and bike just run and I don’t have to touch them. The avg driver/rider doesn’t care how “complex” their vehicle is to fix, in their minds that’s the mechanic’s problem if it even crosses their minds at all.
My only hope is no one really listens to the “anti-safety” suggestions and ends up having a “fooked up” day because of it.

#14 ·
"In the name of safety, let's remove one front brake caliper. Yup. Sounds like a great idea. What could possibly go wrong" Well, absolutely nothing has gone wrong in over 100K miles. So I guess that blows that idea out of the water. Many much larger and heavier bikes than the Vulcan 750 have only one front disc.

I'm a "mechanic" with 36 years experience. However, I am NOT, a "computer technician" and have no desire to be. My whole life has been spent working on cars, trucks, and bikes, both for fun and as a way of making a living. I got to see first hand how much less reliable and harder and more expensive to fix vehicles became the more electronic technology they put on them.

Fortunately I will never have to ride or drive vehicles loaded with garbage technology. At my age there will be plenty of older ones available. And I can just keep fixing or rebuilding them if necessary, something you can't easily do with the newer junk. I feel bad about what future generations are stuck with though. I'm going to get to drive a 1923 Model T today. Been waiting almost a month for that.

#21 ·
And those bikes are designed with heftier calipers for that purpose. I'll stop with that so I will not be tempted to get ornery...

#15 ·
I have worked with computers and electronics for just about 25 yrs now, I’m hard pressed to find a place where technology has been applied and has made my life worse, now granted I’m not a fan of “self driving” cars or even electric vehicles but that’s mainly because I live in the city and there’s no place to plug it in so for now it’s just not practical. But back to my point, I think it’s a plus to have an onboard computer tell me something like “bank 2 running lean” vs me having no idea unless I pull plugs out of my truck. At the end of the day a vehicle is still mechanical, the computer just monitors, and in some cases makes adjustments like for a VVT solenoid or traction control or whatever. I’m pretty sure mechanics don’t have to be computer techs, they need to understand how the software works but if the computer itself or sensors are bad then yes they are just another part that needs to be replaced.

So my last point is I found this forum almost 3 years ago, I don’t know Mr Jerry personally, but I do know he just pops in every few months, gets a few folks riled up, and then slips away

#18 ·
Too bad about those rants. He seems like a handy guy to have around. I'm glad to have gotten to read the few posts he contributed before he got all hot around the collar over this tech stuff. He's got a lot of helpful knowledge and experience to offer. (I'm currently following some of his advice on camchain tensioners in fact and am waiting for my order to arrive.) Fascinating motorcycle collection too.

#20 ·
I just don’t understand why he cannot grasp the concept that not everyone on a forum thinks for themselves when it comes to a subject that they know little about. Many folks (myself included) join a forum to learn and gain information. I’m sure some can’t discern between what’s good advice and what is down right dangerous like removing throttle cables and half your braking system.
It’s like telling someone “sure you can swim in the ocean with a chum bag around your neck, I’ve never been bit by a shark”. Its a shame because opinions aside, he seemed to be knowledgeable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.