Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was out for a ride the other day on the desolate roads near the airport and came upon a group of "kids" racing their crotch rockets. Needless to say I was a little more than a tad pissed when they were taking up both sides of the road while trying to kill themselves. As I was behind the sizable group, I assumed they didn't see me so I figured I'd give them a sign. I twisted the trottle and Sable growled loud at them. THAT got their attention but unfortunately not the kind I wanted. They all looked at me for a second with kind of stunned looks on there faces. The guy starting the race chuckled and gestured for me to pull up to the line. I did but only so I could get past these assbags. A red and black crotch rocket pulls up next to me, the rider looks at me and my bike, drops his visor, shakes his head, and laughs. The guy in front of me makes sure our front tires were even, points at his friend, points at me, raises both hands, then throws them down. The rider next to me jumps into a wheely and effectively vanishes. I let the clutch out calmly and pull away as I would from a stop sign. I continue my ride and never look back. The guy I "raced" is at the quarter mile mark down the road. As I pass him I wave and I see him laughing.

This brings a few questions to mind: did I ask these people to race by revving my engine? What happens to you if you get caught racing bikes illegally? Because even though it was niave, I kinda did. If I report them will I be shot in my sleep? If they want to needlessly risk their foolish lives that's fine I guess but I'd rather it not take up the entire road I'm trying to ride on. I really wanted to tune one of 'um up but there were like 25 of them. Is there a way to stop them that keeps both them and me safe? How do I get around them without racing, without losing teeth, and without getting a crotch rocket up the tail pipe?

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I would let the cops know what is going on and have them handle it. Trying to reason with idiots is an exercise in frustration. The police can " 'splain it to 'em" with authority and in words they will understand!

Different states have various ways to define what you observed, but in most it's called reckless operation of a motor vehicle and speeding. While "tuning one of them" might feel good, in the eyes of the law it could be considered assault, and that's probably not the image you want to project. Next time, using the horn might elicit a different response from the group, but with their racing mindset, that's not certain. Short of turning around and taking another route, don't think there is any way to guarantee you won't get a crotch rocket up your tailpipe if you get in front of that crowd. If you work your way through the group and try to continue on your way, it's possible someone will take exception and try to blow by you to show you he's boss.

·
Registered
707 Posts
if you get caught racing in pa you lose your licence and will probably lose your ride.... then have to pay more than your bike is worth to get it outa the impound and then still have to deal with the asses that are still racing at the same spot.... just call the po-po... how would they know its you??

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
When I was younger yeeaars ago, we used to have a 1/4 marked off on the out side of town. Most kids raced cars. But now the bikes have gotten more popular.
I would leave them alone, the cops will get wind of it on thier own and put a stop to it. imo

·
Registered
802 Posts
Natural selection will thin them out, one at a time. ;)

As for asking to race with the rev? I'd have to say yes. May not have been intentional, but that was a pretty universal sign when I was growing up.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
This brings a few questions to mind: did I ask these people to race by revving my engine?
I think you sorta did, at least years ago if some one goosed her a bit, it ment something was wrong with the engine or he wanted to race... Speaking of cars here though... I would assume it also applied to bikes too... Also sometimes when you are one and they are a bunch, you just gotta bite the bullet and bear it...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Liberty, is there a race track near where you live?? We have one here in Abilene. One pays 10$ on a certain day and you can race all you want. The one here is 1/8 mile.
I took the vulcan, ran 8 times thought I had better quit. I ran 75 mph with 10.5 ET.
People of all ages play.

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
I'd have turned around and called the law. It might save someones life.There are legal places to race.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Yep, you were asking for a race. Revving the engine is pretty universal.

The best thing to do in that situation is turn around and find another route. In CA, just being AT the race is almost as bad as being IN the race. You still get cited for being there, and lord help you if you got anything out of spec on the bike.

Calling the cops on them is an individual decision.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, you were asking for a race. Revving the engine is pretty universal.

The best thing to do in that situation is turn around and find another route. In CA, just being AT the race is almost as bad as being IN the race. You still get cited for being there, and lord help you if you got anything out of spec on the bike.

Calling the cops on them is an individual decision.
Sure is. So do you own a Vulcan 750?

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
If you saw the next door neighbor's kid playing with matches and gasoline in his garage, would you tell his parents? Would you do anything if it was YOUR garage? If you weren't home, wouldn't you think it a nice gesture if one of your neighbors did something about it?

If the guy next door was killing his girlfriend, would you try to stop him if you had the means?

Yes, calling the cops is an individual decison; but if you don't want to do it for your future safety, for the sake of others, DO IT! Allowing idiots to play on public roads is irresponsible!

There are times when "minding your own business" is just flat wrong! Folks, if we don't look out for each other, we are bound to get blind sided some day!

It gets back to that old "Do unto others" thing!

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
If you saw the next door neighbor's kid playing with matches and gasoline in his garage, would you tell his parents? Would you do anything if it was YOUR garage? If you weren't home, wouldn't you think it a nice gesture if one of your neighbors did something about it?

If the guy next door was killing his girlfriend, would you try to stop him if you had the means?

Yes, calling the cops is an individual decison; but if you don't want to do it for your future safety, for the sake of others, DO IT! Allowing idiots to play on public roads is irresponsible!

There are times when "minding your own business" is just flat wrong! Folks, if we don't look out for each other, we are bound to get blind sided some day!

It gets back to that old "Do unto others" thing!

I was about to pass this one up, when I read the "Do unto others" line. So I guess if you were one of the kids racing you'd hope someone would call the police? That line is suposed to work both ways you know.(Do onto others as you would have them do onto you)

There is a big difference between a child playing with matches or someone commiting murder and a bunch of kids with street bikes finding a "desolate road" to have some fun on.

It is entirely possible they might have stopped all activity and let Liberty pass by safely...but we don't know that because he actualy joined them and acted like he wanted to race too.

Guessing your one of those guys that yells a the neighborhood kids to stay off your lawn too..............

KM

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Sure is. So do you own a Vulcan 750?
If you consider a fully dismatled frame, with the majority of the bits scattered into dozens of forum member's bikes owning a VUlcan 750, then yes. I like hanging around here, like a dirty little thought...

And to Flitecontrol - the reason I said calling the cops is an individual decision is because it is. Different people would do different things in the same situation. The examples you outlined are completely different, so it's like comparing apples to asparagus - you just can't do it.

·
2,528 Posts
I yell at the kids walking through my lawn. Doesn't everyone?

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I was about to pass this one up, when I read the "Do unto others" line. So I guess if you were one of the kids racing you'd hope someone would call the police? That line is suposed to work both ways you know.(Do onto others as you would have them do onto you)

There is a big difference between a child playing with matches or someone commiting murder and a bunch of kids with street bikes finding a "desolate road" to have some fun on.

It is entirely possible they might have stopped all activity and let Liberty pass by safely...but we don't know that because he actualy joined them and acted like he wanted to race too.

Guessing your one of those guys that yells a the neighborhood kids to stay off your lawn too..............

KM
You missed the point, which is, would I want or expect someone to report me for activity that has the potential to harm me and others (answer is yes) and would I object to someone doing it (answer is no). Call me a party pooper, but I don't see a lot of benefit to participating in such activity, even in the name of "fun". As a parent, if my son were part of the fun loving group, I would hope someone would report them. It could really improve their odds of surviving long enough to look back and realize the potential for danger. Nothing like time and a dose of reality to put some sense into an otherwise oblivious mind.

Can't remember the last time I yelled at the neighborhood kids. They don't come around much since I put bear traps all over the lawn! :rockon:

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies and for the perspectives. I hope no one's giving me crap about this. I already abmitted I was pretty naive about the whole situation.

Anyway, I called the station to "ask about people racing bikes illegally" and the cop told me they have been aware of this group for quite some time. He asked me where I was when I saw them and I told him. He told me I probably won't see them there again. Catching them is apparently difficult because they move from desolate road to desolate road, never staying in one spot. They also have pre-planned and coordinated escape routes so the cop cars can't catch them. Even though it looks like I won't, if I see them again I'll just avoid them altogether.

Thanks for the valuable input fellas. I don't feel like I'm stewin' the way I was. I appreciate it...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
On the news this morning... 2 drag racers arrested in the adjoining state (KY)... A deputy came up on a rise and was met by 2 drag racers, one was in his lane almost hitting him head on... I can't remember all the charges, but one of the last was endangering a law enforcement officer I think, but there was a sack full before that...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Liberty:

It was certainly not my intent to give you any crap, and I apologize if that was the impression I left. All things considered, I probably would have done pretty much as you did.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Liberty:

It was certainly not my intent to give you any crap, and I apologize if that was the impression I left. All things considered, I probably would have done pretty much as you did.

No worries Flite, I didn't think you gave me any crap. In fact I dig your style. Sorry for the confusion...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts