Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I picked up a 87. It had no wiring harness on it. I wired it with a simplified diagram from another post. I am not getting any spark. Battery was at 12.6 volts. I checked power to the coils and I am getting 4.9 volts. Would this be a bad ignitor box? Is there anyway to test it? Both post on the coils were getting 4.9v. Also do you have to have the three diodes or a coil relay?

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Are you talking about doing the coil mod?

Sounds like that's all you need to do, and the mod does use a relay to supply full battery voltage to the coils.

The low voltage at the coils is probably a wiring problem, which the coil mod eliminates.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts

the top two circles that go to ground are the neutral switch and clutch switch. i found that with out the diodes the bike wouldn't start... you would only need one diode spliced into both wires.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So would it be normal to be getting the 4.9 volts coming out of the ignitor box going to the coils?also I am jot getting any spark coming out of the coils.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
So would it be normal to be getting the 4.9 volts coming out of the ignitor box going to the coils?
No.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
not necessarily.. now which side is giving you 4.9 Volts? Red wire should be battery voltage, the green and black wires should be pulsating and not a steady voltage.. Read up on the Ignition Coil Realy Mod... it could possibly fix your problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks slim. The red, green, and black are all getting a steady 4.9 out of the ignitor to the coils and no spark out of the coils. Would not having the diodes hooked into the b/w wire from the ignitor cause that? Also I didn't hook up the kickstand switch or clutch switch. Would this cause the problem? Where could I get the diodes and relay? Is there a link that would explain? Thanks again. I really want to get this bike back on the road.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also is there a link that tells how to check the ignitor? I purchased a Clymer repair manual but I wont get it until Friday. Trying to get this going as quick as possible

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Thanks slim. The red, green, and black are all getting a steady 4.9 out of the ignitor to the coils and no spark out of the coils. Would not having the diodes hooked into the b/w wire from the ignitor cause that? Also I didn't hook up the kickstand switch or clutch switch. Would this cause the problem? Where could I get the diodes and relay? Is there a link that would explain? Thanks again. I really want to get this bike back on the road.
I got the diodes at radio shack and the relays I purchased art an auto parts store. I have since found a fuse looking diode that would work and am trying to locate a part number for it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts