Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to start a new thread for this one. I'm installing new ignition wires with NGK boots. Now I can get to the coil near the seat, though how to I get to the coil under the tank? I know this will sound stupid but if I have to take off the tank, is there a thread that would explain how this is done? Also Any special considerations in installing the new wires to the coils? Thanks again.

Travis

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I'm not sure of a thread detailing this but it is quite simple. First, turn your fuel cock to off. Second, remove your seat. (10mm socket) Third, uyou'll see a small electrical connection at the base of the tank. Mine is white. Disconnect that. Third, remove the fuel & vacume line from the fuel cock. Fourth, remove the three bolts holding the tank. One on each side & one in the rear of the tank. (12mm socket). Once the tank is removed you will have to remove the black frame collar, with the reflecter. Your coil is under that. Voila! A Coil!

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I decided to start a new thread for this one. I'm installing new ignition wires with NGK boots. Now I can get to the coil near the seat, though how to I get to the coil under the tank? I know this will sound stupid but if I have to take off the tank, is there a thread that would explain how this is done? Also Any special considerations in installing the new wires to the coils? Thanks again.

Travis
I didnt have to, but its easier.

Are you using the Factory OE coils?

Let me turn you onto something that worked better for me..
http://www.accel-motorcycle.com/ProductDetails.aspx?brandId=9&modelNumber=140403&productID=11154581&majID=675&minID=6774&selection=0&minselection=21

I put a set of these on. Dont use their wires. They are total crap!

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

Had these guys make wires per my spec.

This combo will snap you across the room when it lights. Bolt and wires right into the factory spot..Tight fit on the neck, but works pretty darn well.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Let me turn you onto something that worked better for me..
http://www.accel-motorcycle.com/ProductDetails.aspx?brandId=9&modelNumber=140403&productID=11154581&majID=675&minID=6774&selection=0&minselection=21

I put a set of these on.

How much did those beautiful coils set you back?

DT
I bought them years ago. If they were $100, that would be a lot. They really werent very bad.

The problem I had was the plug wires. Those things would snap through any insulation I tried. Humidity was a real hassle.

The only ones I could find were the Magnacore ones. The 8mm was fine. No need for the crazy 10mm. If I had to guess, in todays money the whole project would run about $200.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Dont know. Never used them. The biggest problem I had was the rear cylinder. When the new coil is in place, using a 90 degree wire end (have to, kind of a tight fit) the coil would overwhelm every wire I tried except the Magnacor wires. So, I can vouche for the wires that come with it (Crap!) and the magnacor (Best one I found).

Also, keep in mind, the Accell coils have ends more like a car. None of that silly screw a wire in stuff here. So, those wires may not work... Dunno.

Our bikes, adn jsut about everything on the road is inductive. CDI is Capactive Discharge Ignition. Usually this is seen on Hod rod setups...MSD is a big maker of them. It actually uses multiple snaps instead of one...

Bottom line is you want the inductive one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I contacted magnecore and they were very responsive. However, they this is what they told me. "we do not use those type of spark plug connectors, I will need more information. What I need to know, for each of the longer and shorter plug ends, is how far above the spark plug do they make an angle and if there are any clearance problems? I basically need to know what is the maximum and minimum distance (measured from the top of the spark plug) that the connector needs to make the angle."

What Should I tell them. Thank a bunch

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
So I contacted magnecore and they were very responsive. However, they this is what they told me. "we do not use those type of spark plug connectors, I will need more information. What I need to know, for each of the longer and shorter plug ends, is how far above the spark plug do they make an angle and if there are any clearance problems? I basically need to know what is the maximum and minimum distance (measured from the top of the spark plug) that the connector needs to make the angle."

What Should I tell them. Thank a bunch

They are awesome! They make the best wries I've seen. Top shelf! Are you talking about the ones in the tube? If so, you can use a straight boot, no biggie.

The one under the seat needed 90 degree boots, the one on the neck needed stright ones. I'll have to check for sure, going by memory.

Probably your best bet is to mount the coils, then figure out what you need (Lenth,Boot type)

Its worth the trouble, I promise! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey so all they need is the messurements of the wires. would you know that off hand? Also with the new accel coil at the neck, the covering does not quite fit right now. Did you mount it in the same location with the supplied hardware or modified location?

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Yeah, the cover does fit like crap. I bought longer screw from the hardware store and tightened it just enough to stay. It funky, but it works. I can take some pictures once I get my bike back gtting its new tire.

The leanths, I dont know off hand,Ask them for straight connections on the neck coil, and 90 degrees under the seat.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Its gonna be worth it, I promise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TheTravo, How well did this work, and how much did it set you back, kinda liking the idea and would like to know how it whent
So this weekend I got the new wires and the coils on. Relocated the R/R. Changed the oil with some royal purple and put a chromed High flow K&N oil filter. Charged and set the battery in the bike and put everything back together. After about 4 or 5 times trying to start the vulcan, she came alive. Once I took her out and twisted on the throttle, I felt a difference. The only thing I don't like about the wires are the long boots. They stick out about an inch and a half. But what can you do. The power and the look of the red wires are awsome. The whole thing, the coils and the wires set me back a little over $200. The new coil at the neck was making the neck faring stick out just a little bit. So what I did was get two 90 degree door bracket from the home depot with 2 more bolts and nuts to relocate the new coil and that backet to a position further into the bike. That worked out well and the neck faring sits perfectly now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts