Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello So I own a 1990 750 Vulcan and I'm having eletrical problems. I have to put the battery on the charger for a couple hours if I want to use it. Why is that when I turn my ignition switch to on my battery voltages drop from 15v to 10? The bike wont keep charge it will ride for about 15-20 miles then it stalls. When I go to get a jump it comes on but about 3 minutes down the road it stalls?

I just brought a new battery for it A new RR and relocated it to the side of the bike instead of under the battery The battery is good i think it should its brand new so why wont it keep charge other than that she runs great?

Thank you for any help with this problem

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
You need to test the stator. the R/R won't do much good if the input from the stator is bad.

Search for "stator test" ...there are lots of discussions and instructions on it.

If the stator is good, then you must have a short somewhere. You can start by pulling fuses out of the fuse box to eliminate certain things....but do the stator test first!!

here is one link that will explain how to test it with a meter to check if the windings are good.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12333&highlight=Stator+Test

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hello So I own a 1990 750 Vulcan and I'm having eletrical problems. I have to put the battery on the charger for a couple hours if I want to use it. Why is that when I turn my ignition switch to on my battery voltages drop from 15v to 10? The bike wont keep charge it will ride for about 15-20 miles then it stalls. When I go to get a jump it comes on but about 3 minutes down the road it stalls?

I just brought a new battery for it A new RR and relocated it to the side of the bike instead of under the battery The battery is good i think it should its brand new so why wont it keep charge other than that she runs great?

Thank you for any help with this problem
Old batteries die and sometimes a brand new battery will be defective.
On the other hand, if you have had the battery installed and working properly for a few days or weeks, it will probably give you several years of trouble free service.

As a quick test to see if the stator and r/r system is charging, the headlight should get brighter as engine speed increases from an idle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the response and helpful information. I'm gonna complete these test on the link you gave me tomorrow once I get off of work I will post them on here. - Another the battery may be defected I'm gonna test it, it's been charging fine and reading at 13v once I take the charger off but once the bikes on it drops rapidly. - Now that you mention a SHORT AND THAT THE HEAD LIGHT SHOULD GET BRIGHTER, As I was pulling into my drive way I used only the front brake and the head light got completely dimmer and I held it for about 15 seconds and it shut the bike down - will not start. It's back on the charger in the morning It will be ready to go for another 15 miles . ?

I appreciate all your help thanks folks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts