Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the electrical portion of the ignition switch separate from the mechanical (key/lock) portion, or is it all one unit?

In other words, if I replace the unit, do I have to make sure it comes with keys?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Separate. The electrical part of it is inside a black plastic disc-shaped container that is referred to on this forum as the "Hockey puck". It's below the actual switch that the key goes into.

·
Registered
748 Posts
As Ceal stated, but---the only way you can get it new is with the lock cylinder and keys. Most that do so take the electrical part off the new lock cylinder and put it on their old one, so they only have to use one key.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should add you can take the switch apart and many times clean, resoldier and fix one that is not working right.
That's a thought. Sometimes you can clean a switch or a potentiometer, simply by working it a bunch of times. The TPS (throttle position sensor) in our RV seemed to be acting up, so I fully & rapidly depressed the accelerator pedal 50 times, and it seemed to solve the problem! :smiley_th

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I should add you can take the switch apart and many times clean, resoldier and fix one that is not working right.
X2^^^^ Don`t know why I didn`t think of that yesterday too. :doh:
(Probably because I am not very skilled at soldering, so don`t consider using it very often.) :(

Here is another link to the gallery with four pics of the inside of the electrical portion of the ignition switch:
http://www.vn750.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=505
Especially note #4 to see the wires soldered to the contacts.
I recall a thread where the contacts or springs were stretched a bit when reassembling to make better connections.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts