Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have had to "wiggle" my ignition key back & forth for several times on my 1993 A9 to get the neutral & oil light to come on and allow the engine to be started. Recently the problem has got much worse & now I fear that it is going to fail altogether. I have tried to find a pattern switch but no-one appears to make them for this model. Is it possible to dismantle the switch to clean the contacts? I had thought of spraying electrical cleaner into the keyhole but I am doubtful if any of it would actually reach the contacts. Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can see no harm in trying the "spray in the slot" method and heck...who knows... it might actually work!!! :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I have actually done what your link advised DMAG. Separated the switch from the lock assembly but instead of dismantling the actual switch I sprayed a good dose of electrical cleaner into the openings in the switch. Don't know if you have it over there in the US but here in the UK we have something called Electra Clean, made by Rocol. It does an excellent job of cleaning any electrical contacts without leaving any residue. Dries really quickly too. The switch operates with a nice "click" now where before, it was going through the positions with hardly any clicking at all. Whilst everything was apart I cleaned & oiled the key barrel & steering lock & applied a little waterproof grease to the area where the barrel meets the switch. Will hopefully stay reliable for a while now. I replaced the retaining bolts with stainless ones while I was about it too. Thanks again guys & hey, this really is a great forum. Will make sure I keep checking in regularly.:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Ernie said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I have actually done what your link advised DMAG. Separated the switch from the lock assembly but instead of dismantling the actual switch I sprayed a good dose of electrical cleaner into the openings in the switch. Don't know if you have it over there in the US but here in the UK we have something called Electra Clean, made by Rocol. It does an excellent job of cleaning any electrical contacts without leaving any residue. Dries really quickly too. The switch operates with a nice "click" now where before, it was going through the positions with hardly any clicking at all. Whilst everything was apart I cleaned & oiled the key barrel & steering lock & applied a little waterproof grease to the area where the barrel meets the switch. Will hopefully stay reliable for a while now. I replaced the retaining bolts with stainless ones while I was about it too. Thanks again guys & hey, this really is a great forum. Will make sure I keep checking in regularly.:beerchug:
Glad we could help! Hope you stick around!

Just as an aside, I completely took mine apart and cleaned all the contacts. Works like a charm now. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I will definitely be sticking around - i've had this bike since almost new & have no plans to part with it. I have been all over France, Spain & into Portugal with it & it has never let me down. I am making enquiries about shipping it over to the US this year to attend the Sturgis rally. I have done Sturgis before but on a rented Harley, would mean more to me to do it on my own bike. Will have to see what the cost is.:p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts