Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Its Aleksi from Finland.

I was checking my mothers bike chain tensioner. I wanted to know how it looks. I take the tensioner off, and put it back. I didn`t rotate engine or anything else when the tensioner was off. But when I tried to fire up the engine it didn`t start. Then I checked the ignition, and it was all wrong. Sometimes you get spark sometimes not. Then I tried with old broken ingnition box and it did the same thing. So is it possible that I ****ed up chain timing or there is a broken igniter? Is there any easy way to test ingniter? Any other helps?

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Tervetuloa Aleksi.

If the bike worked fine before, it is probably something you did. Even if the timing is wrong, there should be a constant spark -unless your battery is already too weak from trying to start. Recharge the battery. You could also hook up a car battery, if that is an option for you.

I am sure more knowledgeable people will tell you soon if it is possible to mess up the timing by just removing the tensioner.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
No just removing the cam chain tentioner and then reinstalling it will not affect the timing. It sound more like you now have a ignition problem. You may have to check all of your connections,first start with the battery. A lose connection on the battery can easily cause all your problems, or a dirty one.

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
Hi! Its Aleksi from Finland.

I was checking my mothers bike chain tensioner. I wanted to know how it looks. I take the tensioner off, and put it back. I didn`t rotate engine or anything else when the tensioner was off. But when I tried to fire up the engine it didn`t start. Then I checked the ignition, and it was all wrong. Sometimes you get spark sometimes not. Then I tried with old broken ingnition box and it did the same thing. So is it possible that I ****ed up chain timing or there is a broken igniter? Is there any easy way to test ingniter? Any other helps?
out of time no but our cam chain tensioners have a spring and unlesss u retract them before/during install they will remain way to tight causeing way to much strain on you cam chains ... grambos trick / a small screwdriver in the acct to retract the plunger hold and bolt into place release plunger and aply 1/4 to half turn more tension onto chain....

do u have spark at the plug?
check coil voltage...

check all connections and grounds ..
a weak battt will spin the engine and not leave enough voltage for spark ...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, I have tried with car battery and it wont start. That damn igniter costs in europe 650 euros, which I think is nearly 950$. Is there any way to check that igniter box?

Btw, some pics of the bike in my album.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
During the time I have been reading this forum, there have been very few igniter failures, if any. If you don't already have the service manual, download it - see seebeeare's signature. It has a table in the electrical section for checking the resistances between the igniter pins.

If you decide to by a new (used) igniter, there are some for less than 100EUR on http://www.ebay.de and http://www.bike-teile.de

1 - 6 of 6 Posts