Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I.T. Analyst, Alpha Geek
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this "new" bike I got has a fiddly ignition switch. I have to go past start and then back sometimes before it will let me start. Is this common? Is there an easy fix other than swapping in a new switch? Is the switch separate from the lock? I'd hate to have to re-key it. Thanks.

Jason

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same Issue on my '89

I just bought an '89 does the exact same thing. If I ever get a day off, I will try cleaning as recommended. Let us know how you make out. Tim

·
I.T. Analyst, Alpha Geek
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And then it just cuts out the ignition on me in the middle of a turn. That's never happened before. I think I'll clean it tomorrow..

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Make sure you ever so slightly stretch the little springs inside. That's what I had to do after cleaning the first time and it failing again. Now it seems good. The bike used to just turn OFF and random times and at 60mph in traffic, kinda scary.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
HERE is a link that shows you where to find the writeup in the Verses section as well as a link to photos.
This should explain it as well as give you tips....there are tiny springs in the switch pod...be careful not to lose them when you open it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
All is good now

Followed the instructions on this board for cleaning the ignition switch and all works well. Thanks for the help. Tm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Next is the shaft lube

Previous owner admittedly let some maintenance go. Next onto the shaft lube and antifreeze changeover. Thanks for the guidance.

·
I.T. Analyst, Alpha Geek
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fixed my problems. I figured that's what it needed but I was just putting it off. It was actually much, much easier than the pictures and description let on! No more engine stalling mid-corner. ;)

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Fixed my problems. I figured that's what it needed but I was just putting it off. It was actually much, much easier than the pictures and description let on! No more engine stalling mid-corner. ;)
I know how you feel, it's some scare business in traffic. Ended up the first cleaning I gave it didn't last and then I stretched those springs and that seems to have the lasting effect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts