Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So give them a wind block to help them warm up!

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Grille

On my commute, I'm barely getting to operating temperature, so I thought I'd try this. The cardboard is positioned so that the cooling fan can still pull air through if needed.

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a rude reply for a moderator.
I'm not worried. I think full fairings are silly, but different strokes for different folks.

I'll ride down to 35F (small buffer to avoid black ice).
My main concern was making sure the engine gets warm enough to get rid of any moisture that might accumulate in the oil.
I know oil temp and water temp aren't the same.
But if I can get the water temp up higher, that should help the oil temp get warmer as well.
My ignition mods have also caused the engine to produce marginally less heat so my cooling needs are less than on a stock bike.

The cardboard seems to help. Using a picture of a tach I found online....
My temperature at the end of my commute was the leftmost green line.
Now it's the rightmost green line at the end of my commute.

Speedometer Odometer Gauge Tachometer Motor vehicle

Reactions: Spockster

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Today it's going to be in the low 70s before falling to the 30s later this week. I'm curious if I'll need to remove my cardboard. It was fine for my commute this morning, but I'm going to take it out over lunch for an extended ride.

EDIT: Back from my lunchtime ride at 72F. The temp needle got up to the center right side of the temp icon, but never into the hot section. The fan never kicked on at stops. My cooling system is functioning well to maintain that with half the radiator blocked off!
END EDIT.

I'm not too worried about it getting wet. There's not enough tread on my front tire for me to feel safe riding in the rain. I'm holding out for Jan/Feb to replace the tires.

You all are a lot more hardcore than me! It's not the cold itself that bothers me, I'm too scared of black ice to attempt anything below freezing on a motorcycle. I grew up riding ATVs in all temperatures. A 4WD quad on a frozen solid lake is hours of entertainment! The same quad on a lake that's not so solid is enough to leave a stain in your underwear!

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Riding in the heat is ok until you stop lol
There comes a temperature where it no longer matters how fast you ride. It's a choice of turning the hairdryer on low or on high!

Reactions: mmart
1 - 4 of 4 Posts