Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well no, I don't have a million dollars. But I will be coming into some money soon in the form of an inheretance. Most of it will be salted away but there will be some left for new toys and I'm thinking about a new bike. This would be a replacement for my current 750, (not that I don't like her, I do but I'm not going to get this chance again and I can only have one bike in the garage). I perfer standards or crusiers to sport bikes (my back is too old for that sport bike riding posture) though I'd consider a sport tourer if the riding posture is more upright.

There is a lot of collective motorcycling experience sitting on this site that I'd like to tap into so I'm looking for your thoughts.

thx,
R

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
The straight Suzuki SV650 (single headlight) has a more upright, touring style stance than its sport version brother SV650S (twin headlights). Lots of zip, light, proven engine, maneuverable, gets around 60-65 mpg, haven't read a bad review, including several by older, confirmed cruiser riders. Later models offer ABS option.

I'm sure you'll hear from others. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
707 Posts
what cc or ci range are you looking for?? and how much are you willing to spend? those 2 things will help us in trying to make an educated guess...

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
ST1300 is a good ride.

·
Registered
707 Posts
ohh and if you had a million dollars i would be exprecting a handout!!! hahahah

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
Build a small bike garage and keep what you have and buy what you like when the deal arrives.

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ohh and if you had a million dollars i would be exprecting a handout!!! hahahah
All you Obama voters are alike! Sheesh:rolleyes:

(Joke, it's a joke. Liberals, no sense of humor...;))

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what cc or ci range are you looking for?? and how much are you willing to spend? those 2 things will help us in trying to make an educated guess...
I'm not sure I'd want to go smaller than 750, perhaps 1,000 +/- and I'd like to keep it to the $7,500 +/- 1K range.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
If I had a million dollars (or even slightly less) I'd have to buy more than one bike....sorry I can't be more (any) help. ;)

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I had a million dollars (or even slightly less) I'd have to buy more than one bike....sorry I can't be more (any) help. ;)
If I HAD a million dollars we wouldn't be having this discussion. I'd buy what I want and be done with it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
hahahaha well you are probably looking used harley sportsters or anything metric since they are a whole boatload cheaper.... i would go with either a v star 1300 or similar... personally i would like to get a warrior.... just something about their looks..... you might consider one of the larger vulcans.... you can find them used pretty cheap and even new sometimes... i think the 900 is in that range but not sure.... also take into account that if you want accessories right away or if you can wait for them to come....

the vulcan 900 and the vstar 950 brand new are in that price range....

of course ou could find almost anything used around there so its all up to personal preference...... and if you are into customizing do some shopping and see what accessories are out for the bikes you like... and if you end up getting a lime green vtx 1300c please take the trip p here cuz ill pay you to ride the thing.... <<<<< most likely my next bike if i can come up with the money

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
If I could own one bike and had the money, it would either be a Vulcan 1500 fully dressed, or a Nomad. Lots of versatility, very comfortable on short or long rides, and affordable. Plus, looks that are tops in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
I consider myself lucky, as I studied evey bike on the market and thought about exactly what I needed, and what I wanted and , before I got crushed by losing my job I managed to simply outright buy the bike of my desires:

( A 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300 with OEM tailcase)

If I were to come into a buttload of cash , I would keep my FJR , because I do LOVE IT, but might find myself adding another bike like this one:

(MV Augusta Brutle) My wife thinks this is such a beutiful bike (after seeing one in person) she thinks we should buy one and just hang in on the wall as an art piece.

The Ducati 1098R would be my second pick.
And I would use the left over funds to finish my solo seat Vulcan project bike that still awaits work sitting in my garage.

I think If I were you ..(Ron) I would find a nice Honda VFR and add luggage to it.It just has a killer motor and it's light weight make it a favorite of those not used to the larger (and heavier) bikes like mine. Be a great transition bike for those wanting a more standard bike that does not overwhelm them coming from riding the VN 750.

Alot of the bikes you think might be a bit too "sportbike-ish" with the leaned forward ergos, can be fixed quickly with a different set of bars, or a set of risers ( a extremely popular item for FJR's and even the Honda ST's)

KM

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks KM. Thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

The FJR along with the ST1300 and the BMW R-1200 are all on my short list (although in truth even a used BMW will probably be out of my range). I will however look seriously at what you said about the VFR. I had initally dismissed the Concourse but some further research has me rethinking that bike, so I'll add it to the list. I've read on another site where the FJR runs hot is this true or just true of that one bike?

I'm not a real big fan of HD (maybe it's the nonconformist in me) but I also have a friend with a Sportster (883) who spends a lot more time wrenching on his bike than I do on the VN and frankly I'd rather be ridin' than wrenchin'.

R

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I perfer standards or crusiers to sport bikes (my back is too old for that sport bike riding posture) though I'd consider a sport tourer if the riding posture is more upright.R
I agree with that for sure...
There are so many things that figure in individually that make it hard to give good advice to someone else...
I love the sound , looks, and a lot of other things about the new Harley Sportsters... I personally have an old back injury that kept me very worried about the Harley shake, so much that I never bought or traded for one, although it is a bike that I liked and could afford...
Listen to others, but I think if you do your home work you can make a better choice, so don't let others decide which is absolutly the best for you, you do that...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
How about a 72hp V twin 650.

·
Registered
707 Posts
what the hell is that??? looks like a v-rod....

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
I've read on another site where the FJR runs hot is this true or just true of that one bike?

R
The 2003 to 2005 FJR's (Called "Generation Ones") were known to cook some riders more than they would have liked. This was just do to improper venting of engine heat from the fairing. The Generation Two FJR's (2006 and up) had this problem addressed by the factory and actualy run cooler than the other bikes in this catagory ..the New Concours now has the distinction of being the current two wheeled toaster.
Some had no issues with the "heat" on the GenI bikes, some did and found inexpensive fixes, but you can find a good deal on Gen II bikes now so no worries.

KM

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
First, let me begin by saying that I'm sorry to hear about your job loss, KM.....:(

I've been where you are, and....believe me....I can empathize with your situation.....

Hope you find new (and better!) employment again soon (if you haven't already). :smiley_th

With that said, I agree with KM....the VFR is worth a good look. But know that it will require more attention than your VN750, as the VFR doesn't have self-adjusting valves, and it is chain-driven. Chains can be more finicky, require more attention than shafts, and are very messy to clean. Chains require replacement, say, every 20-30 thousand miles, and can run $200 and up for this process.

The problem(s) with BMW bikes are: (a) dealer support is (generally speaking, there are exceptions, of course) few and far between (this is also a concern with some other European brands, too), and (b) beemers are like HD's in that they are expensive to buy, expensive to own, and expensive to purchase parts for....and thus...for the most part are also expensive to insure.

Other than that, BMWs are fantastic motorcycles (again....generally speaking). However, visit some on-line forums and read a lot b4 buying a beemer--some models have had pdtn quality-control issues and are giving owners problems that (especially for the price) they shouldn't be having!

At the beginning of this year, I purchased a 2005 model Honda ST1300 that was simply too good an opportunity to pass up. I bought it (also) because I wanted a bike that addressed the VN750's shortcomings--namely, much better protection from the wind/elements, much better cruising range on a tank of gas, fuel injection, a much more comfy seat, and anti-lock brakes.

My point here is (by telling you about the ST) that KM is right again--don't let the sport-bike seating position of some non-cruiser bikes run you off from them. Via mainly handlebar risers (like on my ST), but also other accessories, you can tailor a bike's seating position to your own tastes. In my case, I found that the ST has a seat with more height/fore-aft adjustment options than most of its rivals, so this made the ST purchase even easier for me.

Be sure to also check insurance premiums for any bike you might consider--they can vary widely from bike to bike and amongst different insurers. Find different insurance ads in different bike magazines, and call around for quotes b4 buying!!!....

Otherwise, good luck with your search...!....:rockon:

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again KM for the update on the FJR heat issue.

Hawk - I have a friend with an ST that says it's a great bike but a little top heavy in turns, especially at slower speeds. Has this been your experience?

I'm reading and researching this and it will be a few months before I make a decision.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts