Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last yr the idler adjustment on the carb wouldnt adjust the idle it just spins, how do i fix this or any suggestions on why it would stop adjusting the idle?

·
Fire Axe Man
61 Posts
it's a thin piece tin thats threaded it's probably stripped, or the screw is rusted tight and the sping that turns it in the black plastic sleeve is broke, spin the knob to see if the actual screw is turning...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
screw turns both directions, i would assume the screw might be stripped? Is there a way to remove it to see or the black plastic piece

·
Fire Axe Man
61 Posts
one screw on side of carb holds the plastic knob and bracket on left side of bike then i believe one xcrew under carb on right side... not sure if you can get to right side with carbs on bike...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and there should be a spring under the black plastic piece? hummmm this could be interesting or a pain in my A$$

·
Fire Axe Man
61 Posts
no not really that kinda spring... if ya got time call me 920-427-7427 Mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Id love to give ya a shout mike but Wisconsin - New Brunswick Canada would be quite the long distance phone bill., lol. I appreciate the help im gonna take a peek tomorrow and see if the screw is stripped and im gonna buy some Seafoam cause i think the bike might need a clean out

·
Fire Axe Man
61 Posts
ok no problem, if you need anything along the way PM me your number otherwise it's not long distance for me... but i'll give it my best shot in writing here for ya...

The back plastic knob is atached to a bracket with 1 screw, the knob turns the idle screw with a spring (like those cheap bendable screw drivers) not the kind of spring that stretches or shoots out at ya!!! the bracket on the right with the actual adjustment screw through it may be part of the throttle linkageis what i'm thinking, i'll be at the shop again tomorrow to look for sure...

Once you get the left side screw out fish the plastic knob through to the right side then jently pull as you turn it out i would think it should come out then...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
k so i took the idler off and figured out its not attached on the right side, ill take a few pics in a second to show you what i have but i have no idea where is goes on the right side of the bike.

·
Registered
162 Posts
http://www.vn750.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=676&cat=548

You can see it along the left side of that pic. It threads into the back of the bracket where the throttle wheel rests. As you turn it, it pushes the throttle in or out. It's really just an adjustable throttle stop.

On the left side of the bike, the bracket should be screwed down under the top screw on the coasting richener cover. In your second pic, it's just sort of tucked behind the coasting richener.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have a pic of the throttle wheel? Im just finding it hard to grasp what im suppose to thread the cable into

·
Registered
162 Posts
The throttle wheel is the thing that the throttle cable pulls on to move the butterflies. If you were to rev the engine up by moving the carb (as opposed to the hand throttle), you'd be moving the throttle wheel.

If you open and close the throttle, you should get an idea where the throttle wheel rests against the bracket when it's closed. The adjuster screws into that bracket from behind. It sticks through the bracket and pushes the throttle away from it, so that it's open a bit to allow for idling.

·
Fire Axe Man
61 Posts
no... send me your number (cell) i'll text you pics as my carbs are out and i can show you easily... that is the choke you have pictured its lower... or give me 10 minutes i'll upload pics here and explain...

·
Fire Axe Man
61 Posts
alright bud couldn't figure out how to get pics in this post but go to my profile and click on my pics there i uploaded 5 pics for you with explainations...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brother i APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!! I finally found where it went thanks to your pics and put it back on. However heres my issue. Adjusting it i could make like 10-15 turns before it will do anything but sometimes i start it up and it will want to rev to like 3500 rpm until i lower it. is this normal?

Also is the spring necessary im think it pushes on the wheel to make it work but just the screw wouldnt work eh?

Either way its on and i can stop using the choke and back firing everytime i stop and restart the bike so you saved me 60 bucks thanks a million

·
Fire Axe Man
61 Posts
no problem, hope the pics were easy enought to see for ya... camera phone pics, the spring just keeps it from turning from the vibration of the motor... holds tention on the screw, if the carbs are not working properly internally could also cause your irratic idle problem... seafoam works good or there is a better one if theres a Automotive Supply Co. or Bumper to Bumper near you, its a fuel injector cleaner made by P.B. Blaster, pour either one in the tank and ride a bit see if it helps. any other injector cleaner is a waste of money they won't do ****... HEY also where you threaded the in is the 2 throttle cables stick a finger in there and push on the wire part of the cables to make sure they are both taught, if one is loose the throttle will not always return all the way properly, it is a push pull throttle set up, both cables need to be tight to work correctly, there are small nuts on both to tighten them up if there loose, that will be a fun task as they are in there a bit but its do able just be patient and remember were here if ya need us!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Whats the deal with seafoam, something i can just poor in the tank to help clean the carb would be great but taking the carb apart is kinda something i dont wanna get into. You know anything i can pick up at cnd tire that would work it be work a shot! Will a fuel inj. cleaner be the same as what a carb clean any shop would do just poor this into the tank?

·
Fire Axe Man
61 Posts
seafoam is a fuel injector/carberator cleaner you can just dump in the tank same as the other one i was talking about, these 2 are just the best ones, careful what you buy as some are too harsh and can lift the liner in the tank and really screw up your program by gummin your carbs bad and making you buy a new tank... seafoam is available at menards, fleet farm, maybe wal-mart, or any auto parts store... good luck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts