Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you most you run your idle at? I've seen 1600 RPM somewhere but that seems high. I've run 1100 and it seems fine. I can go lower but the bike seems to have a very slight stumble at reving if I set it below 1000. Perhaps something I could get used to when launching from a stop though.

-Robert

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Running it below 1,000 or so may starve it for oil.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
1,000-1,100 RPM seeems like where I used to run mine, mostly at 1,000 though, didn't mind setting it up to 1,100 especially during winter Mos. for crank and run a bit...
Someone with the manual will chime in and give the nitty gritty on it, but I think you are fine...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Yeah it's 1100 is standard. 1000 is fine too though. I don't get into splitting hairs. Anything. Below a grand it might randomly stall and as mentioned, it's not good for oil pressure and charging, although stock charging systems don't charge until 1500 or 2k I guess so that point may be moot. I do notice that my gauge drops if idling in traffic for a while. Anyway, you're good.

·
1,100 Posts
Probably right. I think I set mine once at 1k and it shook more and just didn't seem right.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Dunno...

Really depends on if youre running a stock airbox and filters. I never had either, and just had the "goat's horns" with mesh screens (them 2 rubber thingies off the carb intake). I was running around 1100 then...but...after installing pods and some air screw tweaking, Im comfy at around 900. With an 'open intake", if you take 4 fingers and place them over the throat, the idle increases.
It IS however critical to adjust AFTER the engine has reached optemp...adjusting when still cold is really useless. Also, wear and age of an engine will vary the rpm setting slightly (i.e. you usually need a higher setting for a worn/older engine). This doesnt go for just the VNs, but for all 4 strokes.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I run mine at an indicated 1000 on the bikes tach, which the book says is not accurate, but that doesn't matter to me anyway, I don't use numbers, I go by what it sounds like. If you have messed with the filters, your idle characteristics will be different. I found mine will not idle steadily at 1000 rpm with the pilot screws turned 1 1/2 turns out (the factory setting) but purrs like a kitty cat at 1000 when they are turned out 3 full turns. At 1000 rpm, it is running strictly on the idle circuit, and a lean mixture will cause an erratic idle. I have never had my oil pressure light come on with it idling at 1000 rpm, and as has been said, it will not charge at any reasonable idle speed. I have an off switch on my headlight high beam, so I can idle it without putting to much of a drain on the battery. I also keep it hooked up to a Battery Tender Jr. whenever it is not being ridden.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Hmmmm

but purrs like a kitty cat at 1000 when they are turned out 3 full turns
Hmmm...mine are at about 2 1/4 now...mebbe time to open em up a bit...will try 1/4 at a time....thanks...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1000 always sounds high to me. The only other bike I've ridden ( other than the little 250's the state of California makes you train in) was a Harley. The Harley sounds as though its idling much lower than the Vulcan. A sub 1000 idle gives a lop, lop, lop type of sound similar to other bikes.

-Robert

I run mine at an indicated 1000 on the bikes tach, which the book says is not accurate, but that doesn't matter to me anyway, I don't use numbers, I go by what it sounds like. If you have messed with the filters, your idle characteristics will be different. I found mine will not idle steadily at 1000 rpm with the pilot screws turned 1 1/2 turns out (the factory setting) but purrs like a kitty cat at 1000 when they are turned out 3 full turns. At 1000 rpm, it is running strictly on the idle circuit, and a lean mixture will cause an erratic idle. I have never had my oil pressure light come on with it idling at 1000 rpm, and as has been said, it will not charge at any reasonable idle speed. I have an off switch on my headlight high beam, so I can idle it without putting to much of a drain on the battery. I also keep it hooked up to a Battery Tender Jr. whenever it is not being ridden.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Clymer service manual calls for 1100 +/-50 rpm idle for a stock bike.

Nothing you do to a vn750 is going to make it sound like a bigtwin HD, and dropping the idle too low trying is a bad idea IMHO.

·
1,100 Posts
^^^X2 ^^^
1000 always sounds high to me. The only other bike I've ridden ( other than the little 250's the state of California makes you train in) was a Harley. The Harley sounds as though its idling much lower than the Vulcan. A sub 1000 idle gives a lop, lop, lop type of sound similar to other bikes.

-Robert
These small v twins are designed very different than a Harley's engine. The VN750's rpm limit or red line is much higher and they're made to run at higher rpms consistently because that's where the power range is. This is why they hold their own among much bigger twins that have a crap load of torque, but a lower rpm range. They'll hit their limit and start poppin' when our bikes still got about a third left or so to go before redlining. Keep it at 1000 or preferably a little bit higher. There's some wiggle room based on the individual bike, but not much. Can't get a "potato potato potato" sound from them, sorry. Good luck.

·
Banned
448 Posts
I set my idle at 1,000 RPM's, then adjusted my mixture screws accordingly. I started with the front cylinder, turned it out to 3 turns, then slowly turned it in until the idle dropped, and it started idling rough. I then turned it back out slowly till it smoothed out, then went another 1/4 turn.
I did the same for the rear cylinder, and both come out to 2.5 turns. That was with the stock airbox and filters.
I have since went to K&N pod filters, but haven't had a chance to adjust it yet.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
^^^X2 ^^^

These small v twins are designed very different than a Harley's engine. The VN750's rpm limit or red line is much higher and they're made to run at higher rpms consistently because that's where the power range is. This is why they hold their own among much bigger twins that have a crap load of torque, but a lower rpm range. They'll hit their limit and start poppin' when our bikes still got about a third left or so to go before redlining. Keep it at 1000 or preferably a little bit higher. There's some wiggle room based on the individual bike, but not much. Can't get a "potato potato potato" sound from them, sorry. Good luck.
I'll go along with Dave on that... Plus most Harley riders don't try to get the "potato Potato potato" sound either, its too low of an idle for them also, and don't forgrt that the Harley engine runs both rods off the same crank throw, that has an effect on the sound also...
My Sportster manual says 1,000 RPM also...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts