Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can set the idle right where I need it then after awhile I notice that its up about 1400 rpm sitting at the stoplight, leaning to the left for just a couple of seconds the idle will drop down to the proper idle. In the mornings when I have the choke on it doesn't seem to work too good until I stand the bike up off of the kickstand and them it speeds up.

any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I can set the idle right where I need it then after awhile I notice that its up about 1400 rpm sitting at the stoplight, leaning to the left for just a couple of seconds the idle will drop down to the proper idle. In the mornings when I have the choke on it doesn't seem to work too good until I stand the bike up off of the kickstand and them it speeds up.

any ideas?
My first idea would be your throttle cables are not adjusted right, need lubrication, or one might be broken or stretched too far. When you say lean the bike to the left I bet you mean turning the handlebar to the left. Put your bike on the centerstand with the wheel straight ahead. Engine off, twist the throttle and release it. Should snap back instantly. Turn wheel to the right do the same thing. Should snap back instantly. Turn wheel all the way to the left,repeat. In one direction or the other I think your throttle will not snap back showing you it is binding.

·
Fire Axe Man
61 Posts
My first idea would be your throttle cables are not adjusted right, need lubrication, or one might be broken or stretched too far. When you say lean the bike to the left I bet you mean turning the handlebar to the left. Put your bike on the centerstand with the wheel straight ahead. Engine off, twist the throttle and release it. Should snap back instantly. Turn wheel to the right do the same thing. Should snap back instantly. Turn wheel all the way to the left,repeat. In one direction or the other I think your throttle will not snap back showing you it is binding.
mine does this as well with no throttle cables on the bike at all... standing it idles great set it on the kick stand it dies... lean the bike left it slows idle lean it right it speeds up... cured the problem with seafoam... believe it was a stuck float... dump some "seafoam" in the tank and ride for a bit, within 50 miles or so should get better if my theory is correct... ( I have no throttle cables yet cause of new bars, had to order longer cables..) And Jim2001, I had your problem as well before thats why i changed bars and ordered new cables, needed cables and wanted taller bars... either senario Blazchsr these should solve your problems...

·
Banned
431 Posts
Have the same issue. I always start my bike on the center stand when cold, and it usually goes away after it warms up. Kinda assumed its a carb issue, but seafoam isn't making a difference. Haven't had a big enough problem to push the carb issue further than seafoam.

·
Registered
900 Posts
your float is sticking a bit... also sync the carbs.. this should clear some of it up a bit... check your cables to make sure when you lean the bike that are not being pulled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the bars and bike sitting straight and level when I lean it over a bit to the right. the idle will drop down to 1100 then stand it back up straight and it's fine sitting there idling.The other day I started it and the choke didn't seem to have a lot of effect on the idle then as soon as I got on it and stood it up straight the idle shot up just like it should with almost full choke. I will check the cables and get some seafoam. How much should I put in the tank?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts