Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was looking for EFI units that may work for our bikes.

http://www.horsepowerinc.net/index.htm

those are made for harleys, but i think i could convert it. looking at the dyno charts, i am rather impressed. It gained 15 hp and 5 lbs of torque, and also flattened the power curves. i think that would be great on our bikes. I figure b/c of our faster reving engines, that an additional 4-7 lbs of torque would be fully feasable, and maybe an additional 15 hp b/c of the higher revs then the harley. (keep in mind those harleys are already efi units)

The thing that i would love, is no longer having to deal with choke, idle adjustment, syncing, and would boost throttle response big time (i think if done jsut right, maybe might crack a wheelie, but that is not my game plan). The only draw back is that i will need to figure out the conversion from our 2 carbs to the right size throttle body. Also another draw back is electrical consumption. there will be the EFI unit, and a new fuel pump to juice. I hope frankenstator can handle it. I think if i run shy, that i can change the tail light and head light. if i need more then that, i will have to redo the flywheel with stronger magnets.

still on the drawing board, but seems like a nice project.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think i just found my EFI unit. What is even better is that there is an add on that will adjust the timing of the spark too.... down side is that it is for a single coil distrbutor set up. maybe i can rig something up....
I guess i can use a twin throttle body set up and then i will be able to run a MPFI set up vs a TBI set up. that should boost hp nicely, and i can also tune each cyl separately. looks like conversion will cost around the 500-700 mark. Very nice for EFI considering that it is normally in the 1-3 thousand mark.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Very interesting Hizzo !
There was a guy on a KLX board I belong to that was going to try putting a EFI on his dirtbike. I haven't heard much about it lately though.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks like i wont have any major issues. i will try and get 2 gixxer 600 throttle bodies and make an adapter plate to bolt them up. then only major issue i see that i may run into is the pick up for the ajustable spark. i may have to do some major tinkering there... then go in and remap all fuel curves, which i think may keep me busy for a year lol....well now i know what to tell everyone to get me for x-mas. although their micro squirt looks interesting. looks about the size of our r/r and supposed to have all the same functions except for the injectors. but we dont need 20 injectors lol. i did some math. fuel pump 4 amps, injectors 1 amp a peice at 100% duty cycle (duty cycle varies with rpm), and the controller will pull prolly around the 2-3 amp range.
7-8 amps... not too bad. that is about 84 watts

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Hey Hizzo, did ya see my post HERE for you?

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hyperbuzzin said:
Hey Hizzo, did ya see my post HERE for you?
humm very interesting.... you know what size those would fit perfect on? Those seem like they would fit onto a hella style HID ballast. how many do you got? how much you want for them? btw thanks for the find!

So the "hizzo experimental vulcan project"? lol i like that name. I need a name for my bike, wasnt the liquid robot from terminator called the t2000?

I wonder if we can make a total upgrade kit for the bike. It would include an efi total conversion, frankenstator, and the BFB (big freaking battery) upgrade. Maybe we can include the 6th gear if someone can figure that out. right now all mental resources are tapped looking into the efi conversion, and road testing the frankenstator.

·
Registered
699 Posts
instead of a sixth gear (yes it would be great) but what if the 5th gear was changed instead...would probably have to wind out 4th a little more to be able to shift somewhat smooth but it may be an option to look into

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TrashLord said:
instead of a sixth gear (yes it would be great) but what if the 5th gear was changed instead...would probably have to wind out 4th a little more to be able to shift somewhat smooth but it may be an option to look into
yes, granted your idea is always an option. a machine shop would have no problems cutting new gears for the wider 4&5th, which btw i cant even go 35 in 5th in my jeep b/c of not enough torque which means our gears are too tight. I just want to see if its pheasable to throw in another shift system lets say from a vulcan 500 b/c that would be cheaper. go to a junk yard, and get the tranny, pull the gear spindles and install. vs a machine shop i would have to pay for new gears which i havent priced yet, but may cost a pretty penny. also i am very shabby on the gear ratios, so i will need someone to do all the math and so on.

anyway personally once i get the efi system installed, the torque curve will be nearly flat, which i would love a tight first gear, a medium second, slightly wider 3rd and wide as hell 4 and 5th. i would love to see the bike at 3k rmps at 70 mph (real world) in 5th gear. and with a new efi map, that would be no problem cause that flat spot in the dyno would be gone (i think it is caused by carb jetting). so if i had the money would i redo the whole tranny, you bet!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
have you ever sent your resume to Kawasaki??? you do have great ideas

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol, still working on the peice of paper that is required showing i know what i know.... plus i dont wanna learn japanesee.... i would rather work for buell and make a bike that doesnt look like it came from another planet!

oh and thanks for the compliment

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ok, so i need some formulas, and a machinist. I plan to make an intake manifold in a upside down 'Y' with the throttle body at the top, and the legs of the 'Y' running to each cyl. i will prolly have to make some custom boots, and mounting brackets. I am finding there could be several boosts for this engine...

1) it runs in a normally lean condition. that can be edited with the EFI fuel curve for mid to WOT positions. this means when u open her up, its like rejetting.
2) running on E-85 would not be a problem, as the efi unit can distingush between the 2 fuels with an added sensor. That would help us keep running effectively for the next 50 or so years, allowing these to be usefull classics.
3) the better fuel control would boost mileage, and with some added work, would greatly increase mileage, and power. I figure that we can maybe pull about 60-70 mpg with this motor with efi under near perfect conditions, and back off the mpg's on opening the throttle to gain about another 10 hp.
4) the unit i am looking at also controls timing... could be some interesting gains here....

i think this will take about a year to get up and running....

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Hmmm, have ya given any thought to how well designed the upside down 'Y' would need to be, as to get equal amounts of air/fuel into each cylinder?

And, with how it seems some people need two different sized jets when adding aftermarket pipes, could that be an issue that needs addressed?

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hyperbuzzin said:
Hmmm, have ya given any thought to how well designed the upside down 'Y' would need to be, as to get equal amounts of air/fuel into each cylinder?

And, with how it seems some people need two different sized jets when adding aftermarket pipes, could that be an issue that needs addressed?
i figure i can use prebent mandrel bent tubing that is normally used for exhaust systems. then just have them welded together with a mig or a tig. as far as getting the equal amounts of air, i am not sure on that as our engines are an odd fire. i may have to end up doing something like a large plenum.

now as far as 'jetting' efi will automaticaly adjust fuel ratios based off what the sensors read. you would have to install O2 sensors on your new pipes, but any muffler shop can do that. then you could just go with it cause the EFI computer would adjust the air/fuel mix automatically to a predefined table. This is the biggest advantage of EFI systems. you can set the air/fuel tables to run lean when just crusing (less then 50% open throttle) then have it run 'perfect ratio' in the 50-75% throttle range, and at wide open throttle, you can run her rich. with carbs, you really can only have one set up or another. Hell with efi you can rig a bypass switch that when thrown, it tells the controler to dump as much fuel as it can into the engine to show up those harleys. other cool thing is start up. no more choke, its all done automatically. same thing with idle. you tell it you want a 1250 idle, you have it. no matter if it is 10 degrees out side, or 110, or if you just started or if you've been running all day long.

efi turns the injector on and off for preset amount of time. it figures the time by a formula

injector timing= RPMs*Throttle position*Engine temp*air temp*manifold air pressure*O2 sensor feedback*several user options(switches, anti knock, fuel type...ect)

each of the values above are typically rated on a scale from 1-5. then it looks up that value on a table. I.E. rpms at 4000 rpms, says that it needs 2.5 ms of on time, throttle position is at a 4 so it looks that up and that means it needs a boost of 1.5. so you get 2.5ms*1.5=3.75 ms of on time.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Well, it does sound like you've thought about it then :smiley_th

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
still in need of a machinist if anyone is interested

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
What do ya need ?
Things are a little busy at work, but I can squeeze some of what we call
"Government Work" ("shhhh, don't tell anyone I'm doing this" type stuff !!) in now & then.
And, depending on what ya need, I might be able to get the material too.

I don't remember if I've mentioned before that I am a certified machinist.
Not that much of the schooling that work supplied had much to do with the work they want me to do ! :doh:

So, let me know what you're needing, and I'll let ya know if it's something I can get done.

Here's when I had my own "Bring your bike (in)to work" day.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts