Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to fabricate a rear rack for my vn750. I was going to purchase a kawie one but the weight limit is not great. are there any plans out there? If not I'll post some after I finish my project. I am thinking of using Alum diamondplate for the rack itself. I talked to woo hoo about repairing his broken one and that is still an option with me. I haven't talked with him again as of yet but it may be easier to just fab one from scratch

I have the idea in my head of what I want, I'm just wondering if any of you have done this before(why reinvent the wheel if someone has already been there)

thanks for all the input and suggestions.......Stan

·
Registered
157 Posts
First, ignore the weight restriction on the Kaw rack. Apparently it's there to please the lawyers. We know it wil hold several multiples of that limit. Someone (Bulldog?) has even stood on his (200 lbs) to change a light bulb!

Someone on the Yahoo group just built their own rack. Check there.

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Someone just did this within the last week or so. I'll have to see if I can find the post from the other fourm with the pictures.

RB

stan said:
I want to fabricate a rear rack for my vn750. I was going to purchase a kawie one but the weight limit is not great. are there any plans out there? If not I'll post some after I finish my project. I am thinking of using Alum diamondplate for the rack itself. I talked to woo hoo about repairing his broken one and that is still an option with me. I haven't talked with him again as of yet but it may be easier to just fab one from scratch

I have the idea in my head of what I want, I'm just wondering if any of you have done this before(why reinvent the wheel if someone has already been there)

thanks for all the input and suggestions.......Stan

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm using the Highway Hawk rack. I got it from Spain (bikercom) in two days and it mounted easily. I've also got the Kaw saddlebag supports and the only thing I ran into was needing a longer bolt. It actually took me longer to find the bolt at the hardware store than it took me to install the rack and locktite all of the threads (including those that hold the bars on). Very strong and the fact that the crossbars are attached with screws means you can customize it a bit. Also, there are plenty of holes for bungee cords :D

Check out my folder (Jaremy) in the Photos section on Yahoo to see pix.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check out the pics, thanks!
Stan

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Found it. Here is the yahoo post:

Red Baron said:
-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [VN750] Luggage rackDate: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:24:42 +0000From: gotahavit750 <[email protected]>Reply-To: [email protected]o: [email protected]

Two days wrestling with weldmo, but I now have a luggage rack made from 3/8" bar and 1/2" tube stock from Home Depot. Having never seen how a real one goes on, I took a couple of guesses. The front bolts to the rear side grab rail and the rear bolts to a backrest bolt. Total cost was less than $20. You can see it in photos under gotahavit750.

Gotahavit750
Red Baron said:
Someone just did this within the last week or so. I'll have to see if I can find the post from the other fourm with the pictures.

RB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts