Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IC igniter question

I bought a bike that had been sitting for a while for my wife to ride. It starts up fine but kept bogging down when I rode it home. Becasue the bike was in storage I did the normal stuff. Broke down the carbs and cleaned them. Tank had rust. Cleaned it and did the acid treatment descibed in the the other section of the forum. Replaced the spark plugs. Replaced the petcock and fuel lines. Took the carb apart a second time and cleaned it. It doesn't sound like a fuel related problem to me. So I decided to start looking at the electrical side. I found a chart on page 272 of the manual I downloaded from this site.

Attached are my findings and the page from the shop manual. Something doesn't look right to me. Did I do something wrong? Pins 7-10 all checked out perfect. Should the bike even be running with readings like these? It seems to idle smooth and will run up and down the road. It just seems to hesitate or sputter. Just want to make sure I am reading the manual correctly before spending the money to replace it. The igniter module is not cheap.

Attachments

·
NEVER TO OLD TO RIDE
111 Posts
try running a jumper wire from the ignitor box black/white wire to negative terminal on battery, then see if it corrects the issue. if it does you are losing ground from your sidestand safty switch. the ignitor needs a ground on this wire to produce spark and gets it through the sidestand when driving with stand up. be advised this will disable the safety switch so it is a temporary fix and make sure side stand is up when driving.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did notice that the kickstand switch was not functioning. Since something like that switch will keep it from running correctly, I should probably mention that the tach stopped working a couple days ago. I will place a jumper on the black/white wire when I get home this evening.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Added the jumper. Didn't help. Also checked the kickstand switch at the connector. Switch opened and closed the circuit as it should, but it doesn't kill the bike like it should.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even before I installed the jumper, it did not kill the bike like it should. I unplugged the switch up near the coil and checked the switch it functions as it should.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Even before I installed the jumper, it did not kill the bike like it should. I unplugged the switch up near the coil and checked the switch it functions as it should.
With the bike running, is there power to the side stand switch (G/W)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I gues I am confused about a couple things. Why am I not getting 12v on the g/w wire going to the kickstand switch? Why are all my resistance readings so different on the igniter than the manual calls for?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
The side stand switch, clutch switch, and neutral safety switch all interrupt the ground, not power... And they all trigger the starter circuit relay. So if you put a jumper at the junction box pin number 14 it should trigger the relay, and the bike should run normal... Once the bike is running disconnect the jumper wire and the bike should die

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The side stand switch, clutch switch, and neutral safety switch all interrupt the ground, not power... And they all trigger the starter circuit relay. So if you put a jumper at the junction box pin number 14 it should trigger the relay, and the bike should run normal... Once the bike is running disconnect the jumper wire and the bike should die

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Jumper pin 14 to what? Ground?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts