Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for a bike to run with a IC ignitor that has no internal resistance?

I was trying to test my ic ignitor using page 15-24, but the only pins that I got a reading from is across 3 and 6. The value across 3 and 6 is within spec, but I don't get any other reading from the rest of the pins. I cleaned the pins to enable a good contact. I put the multimeter leads on opposite sides of the same pin and I could get a reading, so it would seem like I am making a good connection with the pins. I tried all the relevant combinations with the + and - leads switching place. The negative terminal was removed from the battery when I did this. Only thing I didn't do was remove the IC ignitor box off of the bike. I tested it on the bike, but with the 6 and 4 pins plugs removed. I don't know if the box was just being shy and didn't want to cooperate with the two strange leads that was violating the pins even though they'd just meet.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Sounds like it isn't working properly. They should definitely be giving readings unless ALL the magic smoke is gone from inside.

I can't tell if you're asking because your bike does run even though your readings are off, or if you're trying to diagnose a dead bike and want verification that your ICI box is the culprit.

If your ICI is well and truly dead, I'd pay shipping to PA. Would really like to dissect & get a circuit diagram posted here.

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My bike runs, but lately it's been having issues. I'm experiencing Sudden/random loss of power.

It runs fine and then just randomly losses power. RPM drops to 0 and for a second or two and then jumps back up. It's getting worse and worse.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Still sounds like the ign switch. I know you cleaned it but I think you need to stretch those springs also.

Do the lights shut off too when the rpm drops?

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I gave them a good stretching when I cleaned them.

Light stays on when rpm drops. If I throttle I can hear it doing something very little. Even when bike dies after rpm drops, light still stays on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts