Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. I just thought I'd share my events today. My 13 year old daughter & myself were ran off the road today. We were headed northbound on st rt 60 just south of warsaw (ohio) Traveling around 60mph. Beautiful day. Nice & cool but sunny & warm. Perfect weather to me. I can wear gear & be comfortable. So as luck would have it, we were approaching a road entering from the left that had plenty of visibility in our direction. A car came to a stop at that stop sign & apparently didn't see us. He proceeded to pull out in front of us. I didn't have time to stop little oun slowdown. The quick discission was to veer right or hit him. I chose veer right. Unfortunatly the fairly steep bank didn't like my bike riding on it & decided to throw us. As the bike was loosing it I look to my left, I'm right beside the F'n guy. We proceed to slide on the left side of the bike for prpbrbly a good 30 ft. Thank god for the hard bags I JUST installed. They looked really nice with thr fresh paint job. lol Alittle scratchy now. But, they saved us from being really hurt. My daughters one foot hurts a bit & I have some scratch marks on a leg & maybe some bruising tommorrow. But we walked away. That was a blessing. The bike can be fixed. Maybe. Depends on what the insurance company ends up doing. The bike doesn't look to bad, but the mount for the tank on the left side cracked & started pouring gas. No fire, very good thing. I think she'll need a new tank. The bags are paintable but the fairing had a chunk busted out. I don't think any mechanical damage has been done. But honestly. I really don't want to look at it right now. I'm just glad to be ok. In no way am I going to stop riding, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to miss the poker run cuming up. lol Any way all. I'm glad to be here to talk about it & very luck to not be seriously hurt.

·
Registered
166 Posts
wow man glad you are ok. did the car stop to help or just drive away?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Wow, that was close. Glad no one was hurt any worse than you were.

If I understand you correctly, you had the right of way at a four way intersection (no stop sign facing you), and the other guy stopped, then pulled out in front of you. A classic ***SMIDSY*** move.

SMIDSY - "Sorry Mate I Didn`t See You"

Kanuck, Here is a way to prevent a future repeat of this crash. Note what he says about motorcycle "camouflage" and "looming."

SIAM - "SMIDSY Idendification and Avoidance Manoever", ie. weaving from side to side in your lane, to create lateral movement to avoid the camouflage and looming effects, which are explained in the video.

Link to older thread on this topic:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13430&highlight=smidsy

·
carbon unit
369 Posts
Glad that you and your daughter are not seriously hurt. Apparently, you made the right
spear of the moment choice.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Happy to hear you guys came out it it fairly well. Hurry up and get it fixed :)

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't believe I didn't mention this part. He drove away. To clarify the other. It was not a 4way stop at all. It was a road ending onto the road I was traveling. I had No stop. I totally saw him & was watching him. When he stopped, he sat for a moment then started to go & abruptly stopped. I thought he had seen me at that point. It was then pulling out in front of me that caught me off guard. Oh well. It was a good day for living.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
hey Jason glad that you and your daughter are all right. I put the air horn on my bike to get attention at times like that but as I found out, they either have the radio too loud or they're on the phone or they're texting cause they don't hear it anyway. I had one come across 3 lanes to casually pull in front of me with my horn blaring. My wheels locked up and I was doing the twist with the bike thought for sure after I hit the car I would meet the idiot. Fortunately I managed to steer right and missed by inches also fortunately no one was in the lane next to me to run me over.

Glad you're safe man. Stay well. Much easier to fix the bike than to fix your bod.

Fred

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Good to hear you are doing good and no one got hurt.
Bikes can be fixed, that is the easy part, good driving.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,723 Posts
wow! I am so glad that both of you are (for the most part) alright. good thing you had your gear on!
don't worry about the poker run, there is always next year.

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
Another good advertisement for ATGATT.

Now go find the Jerk and give him what fer!

R

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Thankful you and your daughter are alright and hope you can fix your bike.

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
Glad you both are okay. Sounds like the jerk was under the influence; stop, go, stop, go, cause an accident, but keep going so the cops don't catch him and realize he's driving without a license because of a previous DUI.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Whew. I am glad you and your daughter made it. Don't let this get you down. Stay focused and get out there on some type of bike asap. Even if its a bicycle. Good job veering and putting the bags on prior.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Whenever I'm approaching a roadway from either side with someone sitting there, and I'm not convinced that they're paying attention, I'll start doing the weaving back and forth thing just because the human eye is attracted to motion.

Glad that you and your daughter are both ok!!

--FA

·
Registered
722 Posts
Glad to hear you two are ok Jason!!!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Sounds like a little too close of a close call!! It's dipsticks like that that give cagers a bad name!!
But, as it's been said, glad the two of you are mostly unharmed and hope things go well with the bike being repaired.

And to the unattentive dipstick driver.... let's hope he runs outta gas, as his tires go flat, just after his spark plugs pop outta the engine because his driveshaft fell off!! :smiley_th

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Glad you're ok Jason, close one. Dude didn't even have the decency to stop!? Class act there.

I was stopped at a red light over the weekend. There was an escalade sitting at the same light facing me. The light turns green, he stays still. I assume he's waving me on, I can't see because his glass is tinted. I start to make my left and he suddenly guns it! I let the clutch out full and throttle for my life - just missed me. I swear he was trying to kill me. He probably wasn't paying attention, looked up all of a sudden, saw the light was green and punched it.

Stay safe out there...

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I've been run off the road many times during the past 35 years, a few times intentionally. Fortunately no injuries and no crashes. Some idiot was convicted of first degree murder for running over and killing a bicyclist here about a year ago. He said he did it in a fit of rage, but believed bicycles had no business on the road, and expressed no remorse. Many cagers feel the same way about motorcycles, and they can be an easy target for road rage. Jerry.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts