Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I was wanting to completely remove my ears and just install some K&N's directly on the carbs. My bike is already coastered so I don't need to worry about that, however, what in the world does the small air hose going from the bottom front of the air box to the front cylinder do. More importantly what must I do with this if I remove the box completely. Has anyone done something like this. I am assuming I am going to have rig something to actually get air filters to fit.

·
50 Posts
Here's the thread in the Vulcan Verses on doing the ear shave. You can also use the search function ("ear shave") and find lots of existing threads on this.

The hose from the left air box is a crank case breather. The right one is the carb breather. EMGO filters for these. K&N's or UNI pod filters directly on the carbs. You'll need to rejet and shim the needle. It's all in the Vulcan verses.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I've shaved & have not rejetted. I would not really suggest this to everyone though. The possibility of engine damage is quite real. So, I bought a "colortune" spark plug. It is a tool! You don't leave it in all the time. It has a quartz ring around the base wich allows you to see the color of the combustion. Alowing you to tune by color of the combustion. Orangy, too rich. Whitish, to lean. Bunsen burner blue, just right. Through a hard acceleration it will appear rich but through a controlled accel it will show blue & you've got it. It is really easy to use & I keep my mileage with a shaved bike. By the way, if your lucky you'll find one for as little as $65. If you buy it directly from Gunson it will easily run $120 shipped. If you look into one our bike uses the 12mm version. If I can find my video I'll post it later under it's own thread. It is really kinda cool!

Added note, even if you rejet. You'll know your dead on & no guess work with it!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Just an added note:
It will be sooner than later that the Feds and the EPA will require stock intake / exhaust on all vehicles to buy / renew a license. Next carb engines will have 'end of service life' (8-10 years) and our bikes will be dead.

Bad news, but it's coming.

DT

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Just an added note:
It will be sooner than later that the Feds and the EPA will require stock intake / exhaust on all vehicles to buy / renew a license. Next carb engines will have 'end of service life' (8-10 years) and our bikes will be dead.

Bad news, but it's coming.

DT
Yes my bike will be dead by then.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
about the feds and EPA further stepping upon my rights.... Well lets just say there is an armory between them and me, and I am about 100% sure I shoot better (I was sniper in the 3rd BN 75th Ranger RGT) As far as I am concerned I can ride whatever I want whenever I want and as long as I want. I also have a 65 Mustang, I love to drive it, and I have no plans of stopping until I am dead

on a lighter note, I am wanting to remove my ears and airbox simply because they get in the way of working on anything on these bikes.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I agree with everything you said and to add to that: They can have my modified, carbureted bikes when they pull them from my cold, dead, fingers.

I took my ears off because I think they look stupid. I removed my air box on a hot day when the plastic was more flexible and was able to squeeze it out w/o too much of a problem.

DT

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used a hair dryer to heat up the air box and force it out... I recommend a heat gun though. Also, if you remove the thermostat housing, hose, and carbs, it makes it easier to get out... other wise you have to cut the box out or remove the motor. I managed to pull mine out towards the back of the bike with a lot of heat and bending and with the help of 2 little kids.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
I chose explosives, but then it was out of the bike by then.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Speaking of the FEDS and rules, etc........ I tend to doubt the bikes will be "ruled" off the road. True, there may be a requirement for them to be stock. Maybe. Even that would be more of a state directive than Federal.
Each state is different in how they "inspect" vehicles for tabs. Some require a safety inspection for cars and some don't require anything.
I have no clue if any state actually tests motorcycles at all.
In the car realm there are far too many '23 T roadsters and such around here. There are street rods all over. Fewer than 5% I'd estimate are original. I can't see them getting mandated off of the road.
Back to bikes, while it's true that the FEDS have long had a rule about modifying the exhaust so as to not make the bikes louder, I tend to doubt I'll ever see the day when a cop pulls me over for drilled pipes.
If I remember correctly Denver has a local law forbidding non-stock exhausts.
I just find it difficult to foresee a broad sweeping law on requiring all vehicles or all motorcycles to remain perfectly stock. And I find it equally difficult to foresee a law that would remove, directly or indirectly, carbed bikes or cars from the road.
The thrust now seems to be more on fuel mileage rather than emissions.
Regardless if you agree with me or not, you all hope that I am right.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I believe you are right about the law to remove all carbed auto off the road. As time goes on the carb autos will be less and less, and they will not be a big conserne to the "green" people. And there will be no need for a carb law.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
But what if we keep buying parts off Ebay & keep these little beasties running for another 40 years? Imagine where automotive tech will be in 40 years. A mechanic won't even know what a carb is! He'll have to Google it! lol

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
How many 2 stoke street bikes do you see today? They can't pass EPA emissions, so I was told. I would enjoy a re-release of a Signature Kenny Roberts RD400 as other bikes are offered now as 'retro new' but it ain't gonna happen as they say.

You haven't ridden till you been on a Kawa 750 triple w/pipes and it hits the power band or screamed down the twisties on a cafe' RD. Buying a crotch rocket off the floor just ain't the same.

DT

·
Registered
141 Posts
Heck, I'll be long dead and gone 40 years from now. As long as the bikes (and cars) that we love are still legal during our lifetime I can't complain. I also have a '67 Mustang Fastback with a warmed over 289 motor. I think if the laws change requiring me to switch it to a hybid drive system, then it's time for me to simply shift off this mortal coil and go to that better place up in the sky where gas is 25 cents a gallon, drag strips are everywhere, the roads are mostly twisty's for the bikes , etc etc..........

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Got better stuff up north...

But what if we keep buying parts off Ebay & keep these little beasties running for another 40 years? Imagine where automotive tech will be in 40 years. A mechanic won't even know what a carb is! He'll have to Google it! lol
I'm still riding my 32 year old Yamaha XS650. Starts in one or two kicks; love that old thing. I'll be getting a classic plate for it this year - last one 4 ever. Still gets mid 60's for MPG too.

Aren't you up north in Canada? You guys got some nice bikes up there that the States could not get including the square 4, 2 stroke Suzukis. A shop in Kelso Wa has some on display. Also saw some 500 2 cyl 2 stroke Yamahas when I lived in Bellingham.

DT

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
READ IT and you deside what might happen...

Follow this link, it's from your home states' ABATE web site. This is real:
http://www.abate-wa.org/Fliers/PDF/2006/mrf.pdf

FYI - The survey is closed.

DT

Speaking of the FEDS and rules, etc........ I tend to doubt the bikes will be "ruled" off the road. True, there may be a requirement for them to be stock. Maybe. Even that would be more of a state directive than Federal.
Each state is different in how they "inspect" vehicles for tabs. Some require a safety inspection for cars and some don't require anything.
I have no clue if any state actually tests motorcycles at all.
In the car realm there are far too many '23 T roadsters and such around here. There are street rods all over. Fewer than 5% I'd estimate are original. I can't see them getting mandated off of the road.
Back to bikes, while it's true that the FEDS have long had a rule about modifying the exhaust so as to not make the bikes louder, I tend to doubt I'll ever see the day when a cop pulls me over for drilled pipes.
If I remember correctly Denver has a local law forbidding non-stock exhausts.
I just find it difficult to foresee a broad sweeping law on requiring all vehicles or all motorcycles to remain perfectly stock. And I find it equally difficult to foresee a law that would remove, directly or indirectly, carbed bikes or cars from the road.
The thrust now seems to be more on fuel mileage rather than emissions.
Regardless if you agree with me or not, you all hope that I am right.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Aren't you up north in Canada?
DT
I do enjoy it when I get home to visit but I live here in ever changing (weather) Ohio. Past 17 years worth.

By the way, have you seen some of the $#!* on the road here! Wow, talk about a state that needs to mandate something. If you build a vehicle you have to have it inspected. If you Buy a vehicle... Free game!:doh:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts