·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was preparing the VN750 for winter and decided to pull the battery. While
disconnecting the leads, I noticed the (I think) coil not being held
properly in its rubber mounts. When I began to loosen the battery lead wire
to orient it the right direction, one of the two smaller wires on the unit
(the one closest to the battery wire) pulled the terminal away from the solder.
Looks like if I hadn't found it, it would have found me eventually.
So, I have a couple of questions for the experts;
1) First, am I assuming correctly that this the coil where the hot lead
from the battery connects?
2) Would it be better for me to resolder the terminal back in place or buy
a new unit? Other than the separation, there doesn't appear to be any damage at all.
3) Any possibility that, if it were arcing occasionally, there may be
damage to any part of the charging system or other parts of the electrical
system on the bike? For what its worth, I put a new gel battery in last
spring, and it, as well as the bike, has been running well.

I did find signs of corrosion on the battery wire that was connected to the
(coil?) unit. I cleaned it up and is ready to go next year.

OK, now that I think about it, any chance this possible arcing may have been
causing slight popping on deceleration? I marbled the bike and still had
considerable popping. Just wonderin'.

Thanks for all the great advice I have gathered from everyone here over the past year.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I believe what you're referring to is the starter solenoid (called 'Magnetic Switch' in parts diagram).
The coils are what the spark plug wires go into (opposite of the spark plug side of the wire)

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
The battery doesn't connect directly to the ignition coils. The coils connect to the IC ignitor for timing. The positive lead connects to the starter solenoid if I'm not mistaken, while the ground lead splits with one lead going to chassis ground, and the other going to the outer case of the starter motor. Chances are the lead you are talking about is the one that connects the solenoid. I'd just cut and restrip the lead and then solder a new connector on the wire. The smaller wires connect to the ignition switch so that the solenoid will only engage when the ignition switch is on. Since it is the smaller gauge wire you describe, I would guess it is one of the wires from the ignition switch that is affected.

If arcing took place, you would see evidence of carbon scoring near the terminal or connector. The ignition switch leads are low voltage though so it is doubtful significant arcing took place. As long as the starter motor turned over without interruption, I think all will be OK.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess its not the coil....

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on y'all. The push connector for the small wire just came off after the plastic terminal was separated, so the only repair that needs to be made is resoldering the metal terminal back in place. (It came separated from the soldered area very clean). And, as you said, the low voltage did not make for any carbon or burnt areas from the terminal. I will break out the solder gun. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts