Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this morning, i had a little trouble starting my bike. rode to work ( 15 miles). bike died as i pulled into the parking lot. this afternoon, hard to start again, rode home, last 100 yards the bike started to spit a sputter, 50 yards bike died. coasted the rest of way. tried to restart, battery dead. jump started off truck. pulled jumper cables, bike instantly died. battery still dead. reattached jumper cables. let charge for 5 minutes. pulled cables. attached volt meter to battery, started bike. reved to 4K rpm. volt meter dropped from 11.5, to 11, 10.5, 10, bike died, in about 2 minutes.

am i safe in assuming the stator has charged its last battery. when i get the time to do a stator change, might as well do the ear shave, sense everything will be apart, and easy to get to.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
test the stator wires, it may just be a bad R/R.

Start from stator and test your way up to battery to determine what is actually bad

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
this morning, i had a little trouble starting my bike. rode to work ( 15 miles). bike died as i pulled into the parking lot. this afternoon, hard to start again, rode home, last 100 yards the bike started to spit a sputter, 50 yards bike died. coasted the rest of way. tried to restart, battery dead. jump started off truck. pulled jumper cables, bike instantly died. battery still dead. reattached jumper cables. let charge for 5 minutes. pulled cables. attached volt meter to battery, started bike. reved to 4K rpm. volt meter dropped from 11.5, to 11, 10.5, 10, bike died, in about 2 minutes.

am i safe in assuming the stator has charged its last battery. when i get the time to do a stator change, might as well do the ear shave, sense everything will be apart, and easy to get to.
Do not start a bike with cables and then pull them off,our bikes run off the battery,not the charging system .It sounds like you need to charge the battery and test it first and then check the charging system.If your battery is bad and new ones do go bad too,it won't run,but the former poster is right test the stator first, the R/R may be bad.And a LOT easier to fix

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Just had a similar issue. Ended up replacing the r/r with Shindegen (SP?) R/R. After learning from these awesome guys on this forum, I troubleshooted the crap out of the bike and the stator came out good (knock on wood) on all tests.

Whether it is the R/R or not, I would recommend going ahead and buying a Mosfet R/R. If you have to replace the stator, you will also have a new and much improved R/R.

And a voltmeter, definitely get a voltmeter for your bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts