Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I cant find the source of the leak lol
I have a small oil leak. I thought it was the o ring on the side oil plug. I found out by replacing it that it was not lol Then I decided to go through and snug up all of the bolts on that side of the motor. I thought that did the trick, but after a short 2 or 3 miles as soon as I stop and get off the bike there is that pesky drip. Coming right off of the side oil plug. It will drip 5 or 6 times once stopped. I cant find where it is actually coming from. And if it throws 5 or 6 drips after shutting her down...I am guessing it is throwing it while riding as well.

Anyone with advise please help lol

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
The side plug is a cast piece....it may have a crack in it from over tightening it....finger tight is all you need if the seal is in good shape.

It may also be the starter seal that is seeping and the wind from riding blows it back towards the oil drain plug and drips from there since that is a low spot.

·
Super Moderator
11,972 Posts
Put some clean paper under any part you think may below the leak. Haven't tried it , but was told you can coat the side of the suspected area with talcum powder to help pinpoint a leak. Don't assume it's coming from the bolt, it might be just collecting there.

I had a freind that swore his was leaking on the left side of the bike, turned out gasket on the right was leaking and when he put it on the sidestand at night, it was just running to that side.

I've never owned a bike that leaked oil, but I wish you luck with your search.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
i had a teeny tiny seep from the o-ring for the stator cover... its on the proper side of the bike for a leak at the drain plug...

removed the stator cover, cleaned o-ring, grove in the cover it seats in, and mating surface.. no more leak

·
Registered
493 Posts
Try the other sump plug in the centre of the sump, might be the culprit.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
My oil filter loosened up on my once. Oily starter with some drips dropping out from under the crankcase.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found the leak...just under the stator cover there are two 8mm bolts. Right behind the frame where the kick stand is. It is ever so slightly seeping out there. Too small of a spot for a socket. Gonna put the wrench on it tomorrow and see if they need snugged. ..If not then either a new gasket or some type of sealant for the outside.

·
Bobber Junkie
74 Posts
Did that fix it? I'm curious to know; Just had some maintenance stuff done on my bike, including two seals, and she's still leakin' oil. :doh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts