Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 1984 ZN700 about a month ago. I have rode it to and from work about a dozen times with no problems. I took it for my first longer ride this weekend, and started leaking gas! I rode about 200 miles, and then the bike sat for about 2 days, when I took it out the next time i realized that I was leaking gas pretty bad. It is coming out of the airbox....There seems to be a hole drilled into the bottom of the airbox, not sure if thats stock. If I shut the gas off it stops, but as soon as I turn the gas back on it's right back to leaking! Any thought or ideas??? Thanks!!!!

Chris

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sounds like the vacuum diaphragm in the petcock is toast. If it is torn/out of place, it'll run gas down the vacuum line. It also would result in some trouble running smoothly.

Try pulling all of the fuel lines. If everything in the petcock is OK, you shouldn't get any gas in any fuel position.

If the petcock checks out, I'd guess sticky float in the carb. Try tapping the bottoms with a rubber mallet a few times to free it, then run with a strong mix of Seafoam in the gas for a couple of tanks.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
what happened here? I'm curious I have this same problem and I took my bike apart. I havent tried messing with the floats is that where I should go next?

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
If it's a stuck float it will flood out badly, your plugs will be wet and you may be able to run it by revving but it won't idle or it will idle very poorly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I havent been able to start it in a while because the starter has gone bad, but the other day when i stepped outside i saw this big puddle and fuel dripping too. I'm having trouble getting the carb apart because the screws are starting to strip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts