Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's inspected running pretty smoothly and I'm pretty happy. It's a little bit crabby when cold and takes a minute for both cylinders to wake up. And hot starting needs 1/2 throttle. But I'll go back over the forums that have suggestions for those problems. I just wanted to ask if anyone has heard an intermittent ticking that seems not to come from the acct's but further forward. It comes and goes but comes more, and changes with rpms. Its not very loud, got clean oil and good oil pressure so I'm not real worried. These awesome bikes do have engines with "character" though don't they? Have a good one.
Dave

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
when I still had my acct's I was hearing a tick I thought was more internal, but with the bike running and the acct cap screw off every time I heard the knock I thought was more internal the flat slotted screw under the cap screw would jump. switched to my mcct and problem gone!

·
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks wib! Yeah it probably is the acct. Sometimes the sound can travel. I'll bust the bank and do the 6 dollar mod this weekend. Guess there wont be any beer money this week. Thanks for the reply.
Dave

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Have you tried using a "screwdriver stethoscope" to isolate the source of the sound?
Works like a charm for finding noisy bearings in my car`s alternator, etc. :)

·
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good idea, thanks. With the airbox gone it has a nice growl now. Not too loud tho which I'm thankful for. Have a good one. :)

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
I noticed my petcock makes a ticking sound but its very difficult to hear because the ****box motor makes a louder noise. But just a thought if your VN is whisper quiet you could hear the petcock ticking. It runs under vacuum from one of ther carbs.

·
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I noticed my petcock makes a ticking sound but its very difficult to hear because the ****box motor makes a louder noise. But just a thought if your VN is whisper quiet you could hear the petcock ticking. It runs under vacuum from one of ther carbs.
Does your petcock tick constantly or intermittently? I'm pretty sure it's the acct. Damn things do make a racket. For the most part my v is pretty quiet. I did the "play around with the spring " adjustment thee 1st year I bought it cause it sounded like it was gonna rattle apart and I was embarrassed. "Cool new bike Dave, start her up man"........."Nah, let's just look at it for a while":doh:. Thank God for this forum. I was a member before but forgot my user/password blah blah :blah:. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. I'll listen for it. Peace,
Dave

·
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well I had it out for a few hours today and am happy to say it ran better than it ever did pre-ear shave. Sat in traffic on the way to pick up my cousin but the hottest it got was just a hair to the right of the thermometer symbol. We went up to Manchester Ma, taking roads along the water and following a couple of fuddy duddy's :) , but on the return I was able to flex it's muscles a little so that felt good. Thanks to all who have read my posts and offered advice or encouragement. I hope people have been helped by suggestions I have posted as well. Peace

1 - 8 of 8 Posts