Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://youtu.be/xE7vTCHmmls

Here's a video of my bike running. There is a hissing on the rear carb not present on the front one. Do I need some kind of sealer for this thing? I've taken apart and tried to reseat this thing twice. It's driving me nuts! It only runs with the choke opened up, and I just want the thing running right again. Can anyone give me some tips on how to stop a leak like this? Thank you!

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I can't tell by listening to the video, but the air filter setup looks unusual. Are you sure it's sealing?

Or, cup your hands around the air filter, maybe it's making noise.

The wide hose clamps may not seal well on used carb boots, the stock clamp has made an imprint in the rubber.

·
Registered
552 Posts
When I took apart my carbs, I accidentally forgot the small O ring under the enrichment covers, and it hissed like that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where are the o rings located? Are they attached to the actual intake or did they come off with the carb? I don't remember any o ring on either of the carb boots on removal.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Unable to see the piston you are referring to. Could you draw a circle around it and repost a good clear picture? Those hose clamps are likely to leak. I used to think worm drive hose clamps were the best thing out there. Then I found they weren't. Most cars today have clamps on rubbers hoses and fittings that you have to squeeze with pliers and then slide them off. They are much better than worm drive hose clamps for even sealing all the way around.

On the outside of each carb is a round cover with 3 screws. Those are the coasting enricheners. Behind those covers are a very expensive diaphragm, and a little O ring. If you had a stock airbox, you could use an unlit propane torch just barely opened, and move it around where you think there might be a vacuum leak. The idle speed will quickly go up as it sucks in the propane. But with those filters, it would probably just get sucked through the filters. But you could try it anyway.

OK, I just went and had a look at mine. I think you are talking about the little plungers that the choke linkage is attached to. They move in and out when you move the choke lever, and have rubber seals around them. Are those what you are talking about?

Reactions: Thorn

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Ok, if you are sure there is an air leak there, you will need to replace that rubber seal. They dry out and harden with age.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts