Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been turning my 2000 vn750 into a bobber but my dad was working on the carbs and it backfired and caught fire, it burned every hose on the bike and the wiring harness. Ive got a new wiring harness on the bike, i just dont have a clue what hoses i need for the radiator and such, please help 馃ぃ also, due to the burning, ive successfully completed the ear shave mod, im just slightly confused on "marbling" and "coastering", would it be easier for me to just make a plate that mounts where the original AIS was or should i go a different route?

Registered
Probably the simplest way to marble with no hoses would be to use rubber caps on the Reed boxes, the Reed box takes a 1/2" cap, rubber or even a copper water pipe cap, auto stores have the rubber caps. Or you can make plates.

Radiator hoses may be hard to find in the pre-formed original type. Not sure if 5/8 heater hose will fit the connections, but a quality brand may make the turns without linking.

If you're on a computer, there's a link to the repair manual. Should be pics of the hose routing. It's also a parts catalog, so part numbers should be there. You can use parts numbers to search eBay for new/used parts, though some listings will go only by part name.

You can also check parts websites like Kawasakipartshouse.com to see drawings and part numbers.

Will you need to replace the airbox and air intake hoses for the carbs? Or will this be earshaved?

There's also vents for the carbs and crankcase if those are burned.

Registered
I had to replace all my fuel and vacuum lines on my '89 a couple of years ago. Buying all those hoses individually added up to quite a bit of $$$! I ended up buying a roll of fuel line and a roll of vacuum line from Farm and Fleet for less than the cost of one replacement line. I cut it to length and it worked great!

If you want, I have a full set of hoses (fuel, vacuum, coolant etc) from my '89 that I don't need anymore. I'll box them up and mail them to you, with all the clamps. Some of the fuel line clamps don't fit with the generic fuel line hoses. I even have 3 of the Emgo Crankcase filters used for an earshave, and a pair of pod filters. I have the air surge tank and the pieces that go from that tank to the ears, and from that tank to the carbs.

Crankcase Filters
https://www.denniskirk.com/emgo/crankcase-breather-filter-kit-14-20900.p301754.prd/301754.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=csecid=6821162156&aid=76472566741&keyword=825836635376::pla-825836635376&kid=825836635376&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0uLI6pqn6gIVTr7ACh3nGQ1gEAQYASABEgLwYPD_BwE

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Probably the simplest way to marble with no hoses would be to use rubber caps on the Reed boxes, the Reed box takes a 1/2" cap, rubber or even a copper water pipe cap, auto stores have the rubber caps. Or you can make plates.

Radiator hoses may be hard to find in the pre-formed original type. Not sure if 5/8 heater hose will fit the connections, but a quality brand may make the turns without linking.

If you're on a computer, there's a link to the repair manual. Should be pics of the hose routing. It's also a parts catalog, so part numbers should be there. You can use parts numbers to search eBay for new/used parts, though some listings will go only by part name.

You can also check parts websites like Kawasakipartshouse.com to see drawings and part numbers.

Will you need to replace the airbox and air intake hoses for the carbs? Or will this be earshaved?

There's also vents for the carbs and crankcase if those are burned.
Ill probably do the copper cap for the reed boxes, thatll look great with the style of bike im going for, I call it the dirty gentleman

I was thinking about buying a 10 foot roll of acrylic hose but im not sure if itll last, which is why i asked about the hoses that and, im not sure which hoses im missing.

Ive been looking through the catalogs and cant seem to find the hoses, ive looked in the radiator section but it only lists a couple, unless ive looked over them which is very possible.

Im not sure about the crankcase or the carb vents, this is my first build and first time doing anything like this so, im a tad bit green. My mentor that im apprenticing under hasnt had the chance to look at it yet but, im sure once he does, hell know exactly what i need.

Thank you spockster, youve been a lifesaver more times than i can count even though this is the first time youve helped me directly

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Registered
With the copper you'll have to find some way to hold it on there, adhesive, clamp, solder, etc. It fits snug but not tight.

Can probably even thread a bolt in there.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Id say it was quite a bit of money buying them all like that, so far including what i paid for the bike ive got about $1800 in it. Im trying to keep it as cost effective as possible. Id say id buy those hoses but im currently broke and im not sure when ill have the money to spend. Im not sure about the crankcase filter, is it supposed to have one? If it does mine definitely needs one like i said, im not really sure what i need and what i dont, most of the hoses are dust and im not sure where they went or anything. Im gonna look into the repair manual and see what all i do need, thanks for the help!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
With the copper you'll have to find some way to hold it on there, adhesive, clamp, solder, etc. It fits snug but not tight.

Can probably even thread a bolt in there.
I have some solder and flux that i can use, i had bought it because when the bike burned, it completely trashed the carbs and i had seen that some people had successfully done a single carb conversion but decided that wasnt the way i wanted to go, as soon as i can post pictures ill add it to the build thread.

Registered
Yes, if it's earshaved, you have to use a crankcase filter. Most automotive stores have them, around $10.

Registered
Ive been turning my 2000 vn750 into a bobber but my dad was working on the carbs and it backfired and caught fire, it burned every hose on the bike and the wiring harness. Ive got a new wiring harness on the bike, i just dont have a clue what hoses i need for the radiator and such, please help 馃ぃ also, due to the burning, ive successfully completed the ear shave mod, im just slightly confused on "marbling" and "coastering", would it be easier for me to just make a plate that mounts where the original AIS was or should i go a different route?
If your carbs are like mine 32 x 2 it has a devise on the carburetor just to prevent backfire. Need to get a carb. diagram and find it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts