Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Eagle Riders 4146
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perfect day to install the EMGO Turnouts I purchased a few weeks ago. Too bad the stock muffler isn't wanting to cooperate. It is super stuck! I've sprayed WELL with WD-40 Rust Release and let it set for a couple hours, hit it with a hammer, and rocked and twisted it. Still won't budge. I'm beginning to think I'll have to get the angle grinder out, and cut the header pipe before I start cutting the belly into pieces to get it out...then make the trip to the muffler shop to have a short length of pipe welded on so I can "slip on" the slip-ons. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
I don't have an answer for you other than liberal use of some sort of penetrating oil, which you've already tried. I, too, was trying to loosen my right side one yesterday but it was also stuck on just as solid as yours. It turns out I didn't even really need it moved so I'm fine and didn't experiment any more on getting it loose. Anyway, at least you know it's not just YOUR machine like that. Small consolation. Good luck to you.

Reactions: JimmyMac

·
Super Moderator
2,595 Posts
just what I was gonna say, heat.. either from riding (not idleing, may not get the exhaust hot enough) for a bit, or hit it with a torch. if propane isnt hot enough, and you dont have an Oxy/Acetelyne setup, try MAP gas. its considerably hotter than straight propane

·
Eagle Riders 4146
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Spockster and MichiganTeddyBear! I'll try riding first. I that doesn't work I'm sure I can find a friend with a torch. Having said that, is there a marked performance advantage to ripping out the belly and welding in a cross-pipe? If yes, I'm wondering if I should maybe go that route, and not even mess with trying to pull the stock mufflers. If I do de-goat, would that require adjusting/re-jetting the carbs?

·
Eagle Riders 4146
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: I went out today to give it another go. I sprayed more rust penetrant, and then banged some more on the connection. I followed that up with tapping a flat-tip screwdriver in several places between the muffler flange and pre-muffler pipe, and then did some gentle prying...followed by some twisting on the muffler. Voila! It came off! I buttoned it all up and then cranked her over. Wow! what a difference in sound between the stock muffler and the EMGO Turnout! I needed to get ready for work, and so I'll tackle the left side tomorrow. Here are a couple pictures showing the stock and the new EMGOs (Shelley needs a bath after running through a mud puddle.)

Here is a YouTube link showing comparison between the stock and EMGO Turnouts. I really like the sound and look! The only thing I'm not pleased with is the heat shield. The back side has a really large diameter for the stock exhaust. Does anyone know of a narrower heat shield that will work to give it a more aesthetic look?

EMGO TURNOUT SLIP-ON MUFFLERS VN750

Attachments

Reactions: Gaz73

·
Eagle Riders 4146
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Gaz!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,419 Posts
Sweet?