Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say a hearty THANKS to everyone in this group for their patience and willingness to share their expertise. I have tried to seek help in other news groups, before I truely discovered this one, only to be snubbed because of the size of bike I choose to ride.

Thanks again for being real Biker Brothers (and Sisters). I hope to venture to a gathering soon so I can meet some of you all.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I wish we weren't so spread out. I feel the same way but it's a major undertaking to do a trip across country, and vacation time is a precious comodity, coupled with wife's vacation time, ... It's a great group of folks we have here!

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
.. and vacation time is a precious comodity..
lets not forget school :beerchug:

BSkaggs513 i agree, this site is wonderful. With this site, i've been able to not only learn alot about this bike and then some, but some of the jokes on here are great too.... its like a 2 for 1 deal!

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
If I understand your comment above about the size bike you ride, one of my major frustrations with the biker community in general is how mid-sized bikes (like ours) are now tacitly labelled as "inferior" or "beginner" bikes.

Apparently, there is a general biker elitism mentality (seems especially so amongst the cruiser crowd) out there that says that "bigger is better" and a bike just isn't a bike unless it's engine has 1300 cc's or more....:mad:

The bottom line: I (we?) feel your pain!....

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
If I understand your comment above about the size bike you ride, one of my major frustrations with the biker community in general is how mid-sized bikes (like ours) are now tacitly labelled as "inferior" or "beginner" bikes.

Apparently, there is a general biker elitism mentality (seems especially so amongst the cruiser crowd) out there that says that "bigger is better" and a bike just isn't a bike unless it's engine has 1300 cc's or more....:mad:

The bottom line: I (we?) feel your pain!....

and we still keep pace with some of them, that is the funny part...

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Now if it only had one more gear!!

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
and we still keep pace with some of them, that is the funny part...
hmmm... NO! it is them who keeping pace with us!
a big sise-by-side drag strip session was made featuring about 15 different cruisers. the 1/4 mile winner was VROD, 2nd 1800VTX and third our bike!!! and only then all the 1500's and 1300's
it may have only 60hp but it is light
unfortunatley i cannot find that article anymore...

IMO for someone who owns the bike for the purpose of riding it the displacement is not as important as for someone who owns it as shiny garage ornament. i just cannot see real Rider laughing at someone only because smaller dispalcemet.

regards!

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Should be a ride is a ride, don't matter what brand, size, or style.

Up on two is up on two.

Jon

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
a big sise-by-side drag strip session was made featuring about 15 different cruisers. the 1/4 mile winner was VROD, 2nd 1800VTX and third our bike!!! and only then all the 1500's and 1300's
it may have only 60hp but it is light
unfortunatley i cannot find that article anymore...
Well, here's a list from the Vulcan Verses on top speeds at a 1/4 mile....
I couldn't find the other comparison write-up either.

Always good to know we have the fastest of the Kaw Cruisers (well except for the Meanstreak)...
This info is dated, missing the 1600, but still is interesting.
Quarter mile elapsed time/ending speed

1500 Mean Streak 13.76/95.6
VN750 13.98/93.1
800A 14.00/93.6
800 Classic 14.34/89.9
1500 Drifter 14.56/88.9
1500 Nomad FI 15.49/88.1
800 Drifter 14.56/88.9
1500 Classic FI 14.98/88.7
1500 Classic (carb) 15.03/85.3

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
What's a little funny to me is the big bike mentality, as if bigger is better and faster. So maybe you need to be a gorilla to ride a VTX 1800 or Vulcan 2000 just to keep it from falling over at a stop light, but really. Cruisers aren't particularly speed demons. I'm sure riding something that big and going 100 down some long straight backroad must feel amazing, until that high school junior passes you like you're standing still, on his sportbike going 150 in 3rd gear. Our bikes are fast in the class, but when the class is slow, that's not really saying much.;)

If the 750 is the biggest bike you've ever owned and you feel like it is fast, you should take my KZ1000 police bike for a ride. It will scare the doodoo right out of ya.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
What's a little funny to me is the big bike mentality, as if bigger is better and faster. So maybe you need to be a gorilla to ride a VTX 1800 or Vulcan 2000 just to keep it from falling over at a stop light, but really. Cruisers aren't particularly speed demons. I'm sure riding something that big and going 100 down some long straight backroad must feel amazing, until that high school junior passes you like you're standing still, on his sportbike going 150 in 3rd gear. Our bikes are fast in the class, but when the class is slow, that's not really saying much.;)

If the 750 is the biggest bike you've ever owned and you feel like it is fast, you should take my KZ1000 police bike for a ride. It will scare the doodoo right out of ya.
Guy I work with has a fast cruiser, it's an '86 Honda V45 Magna. Similar size, shape, and style to our Vulcan, only with a 700cc V4. Smooooooooooooth.
Goes really fast, for any bike, not just a cruiser. Predecessor to todays 800cc Honda Interceptor motor.

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this '86 model Honda Magna is one of the earlier Magnas that has shaft drive.

That's a nice bike. If I were the owner, I'd think loooooooooooooonnng and hard b4 I parted with that one......:notworthy
Yes, shaft driven, 6 speed. You run three gears quietly to 8K and your flying. The V4 is the smoothest bike engine I have ever ridden.

He just finished completely restoring it from the ground up. He went to the Honda dealer for some parts and they said his looks better than their new ones! Yes, it really is a nice bike. The V65 1100cc, V4, big brother is also nice, its a low 10 sec cruiser, I rode one, sick fast.

Jon

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cruisers...

I have always liked the Magnas (and Shadows) for thier sleek looks. That is what attracted me to my Vulcan was because it is the only new bike that kept that look. Shame mama Kaw stopped production of a good thing.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I am going to stick with my bike its a classic.It has all the features you need.Not to mention its plenty fast.So buy bigger.Mines better.Thats it no more needs to be said.Thank you anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts