Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have an LED brake light/rear turn signal combination kit. Today I installed an LED bulb for the license plate light. And I'm pending delivery of LED front turn signals and an LED headlight. I also love how affordable LED technology has become!

IMG_2193.jpg IMG_2194.jpg IMG_2195.jpg

·
Registered
649 Posts
Looks good!

What LEDs did you use?

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
649 Posts
So your turn signals are integrated into the center light? How did you combine brake/turn signal? Wait, I just figured it out, that you didn't use those linked 1156 bulbs in the center light, but some LED module instead. Did you remove the red reflector above the brake light?

I made a custom mount for RGB LEDs in the stock turn signal housings. I put smoked lenses on them. I wired them up to give me red running lights, red brake lights, and yellow (amber) turn signals.

My center light is still stock incandescent, but now I want to change them out to LED too! I want to also change the center lens to smoked and use red 1156 bulbs.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So your turn signals are integrated into the center light? How did you combine brake/turn signal? Wait, I just figured it out, that you didn't use those linked 1156 bulbs in the center light, but some LED module instead. Did you remove the red reflector above the brake light?

I made a custom mount for RGB LEDs in the stock turn signal housings. I put smoked lenses on them. I wired them up to give me red running lights, red brake lights, and yellow (amber) turn signals.

My center light is still stock incandescent, but now I want to change them out to LED too! I want to also change the center lens to smoked and use red 1156 bulbs.

Hey Jason, yes my turn signals are integrated in the center rear brake light! I love it! It's actually a kit I bought that was literally plug and play (just had to splice some wires together, that's all). This kit fits right inside the stock OEM brake housing. Here's the link. I got it from Ebay.

Seller was great to work with. I provided positive feedback and also pictures of my install. So the pictures you see there are of my bike!

I like your custom mount. Very nice!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Very cool! Great clean look! I had looked at something like that before, and wasn't sure if I'd like it. While I was working on the LEDs for my rear signals, I rode around without any rear signals for a bit and I liked the clean look of not having them. If I hadn't put all the work into the signals, I probably would go with something like what you have.

I think eventually I'll go with the 1156 LED bulbs in the stock location. It retains some of the original look (single point of light vs multiple points of light), but provides the fast response/long life benefits of LED. That was what inspired my turn signal project, was trying to imitate an incandescent look.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Very cool! Great clean look! I had looked at something like that before, and wasn't sure if I'd like it. While I was working on the LEDs for my rear signals, I rode around without any rear signals for a bit and I liked the clean look of not having them. If I hadn't put all the work into the signals, I probably would go with something like what you have.

I think eventually I'll go with the 1156 LED bulbs in the stock location. It retains some of the original look (single point of light vs multiple points of light), but provides the fast response/long life benefits of LED. That was what inspired my turn signal project, was trying to imitate an incandescent look.
that is the route I went. I found 1156 and 1157 LEDs for all the lighting along with a new flasher relay.
blink rate is a little odd sometimes but all in all I’m satisfied.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I

I know, right. It took me A LOT of digging to find this option on Ebay and am very happy with how it has been working. I did this work because I needed to relocate my rear turn signals to make room for my saddle bags. I had just found this Ebay LED option when I came across rear turn signal relocation arms here on this forum. :)

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
I swapped lights in my shop and some in the house with LEDs. My electric bill has never been so low. The 4ft LEDs in the shop are plenty bright, replaced 8ft florescents. 4800 lumens I think.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
If were talking about non motorcycle lights then I have replaced every bulb in my home. The bulb in my porch light was listed as having a 21 yr life span and so far I’m at least 9 yrs in with that one. The only incandescent bulb left in my house right now is a flood light with a motion sensor out back and the bulb in my range hood. I installed a programmable led strip in my daughter’s room around the perimeter of the ceiling. It has like 21 different colors and patterns with a remote. Needless to say that’s one technology I’m fully onboard with.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I swapped lights in my shop and some in the house with LEDs. My electric bill has never been so low. The 4ft LEDs in the shop are plenty bright, replaced 8ft florescents. 4800 lumens I think.
I want LED shop lights for my garage. It's been on my to-do list for a while now. :)

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If were talking about non motorcycle lights then I have replaced every bulb in my home. The bulb in my porch light was listed as having a 21 yr life span and so far I’m at least 9 yrs in with that one. The only incandescent bulb left in my house right now is a flood light with a motion sensor out back and the bulb in my range hood. I installed a programmable led strip in my daughter’s room around the perimeter of the ceiling. It has like 21 different colors and patterns with a remote. Needless to say that’s one technology I’m fully onboard with.
It's great that the price has come down on LED bulbs. They still may not be as cheap as incandescent, but they've certainly come down! Plus the better/cleaner light, the longer life, the cooler color!

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
I want LED shop lights for my garage. It's been on my to-do list for a while now. :)
Here's where I got mine. Hmm, lumens have gone up and the price has come down a few bucks. I might need some more.

·
Registered
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
124 Posts
I already have an LED brake light/rear turn signal combination kit. Today I installed an LED bulb for the license plate light. And I'm pending delivery of LED front turn signals and an LED headlight. I also love how affordable LED technology has become!

View attachment 53176 View attachment 53177 View attachment 53178
Thank you I'm going to look into this. I was in town riding it was night a van pulled directly out and crossed three lanes to make a left turn in front of me he didn't even register that a motorcycle was in the lane going 45mph luckily I've been practicing my braking skills and with mad downshifting plus heavy front brake and finally did lock the rear brake squealing tire slid sideways up to this *&^$(&[email protected]# guy's door, undamaged.

So obviously when you see the front view of the bike, it should stand out more. The signals are on but the light is pretty dim.

My jacket does not have any reflective strips, but I will look for something to place on the front and back of my helmet.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
LEDs are awesome. Here's what I've learned: use the same color LED as the lens for a richer color. Amber LED for amber turn signals, red LED for stop tail lens... Better yet a flashing red LED for the brake light.

There is some concern using LEDs and the stock R/R. The r/r shunts unused voltage produced by the stator to ground. That excess voltage is converted to heat in the r/r. LEDs could shorten the life of the r/r because our ancient charging system was designed to have a about 125 watt load helping to use up that excess voltage. When I switched to all LED, my r/r was hot! Reinstalling a Silverstar headlight bulb lowers the temp of the r/r substantially. Using a MOSFET r/r is better yet to actively control regulation and charging.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts